Business Development Manager - Transport Research & Consultancy
About The Role
We have a number of opportunities for accomplished Business Development professionals with substantial expertise in the proactive generation and conversion of consulting services opportunities. Acting as the primary introduction point for all services with our clients, the appointed individuals will take ownership for driving prospective sales through the business winning process to become booked orders. Suitable applicants should be adept at building relationships at C-level, and will be responsible for creating demand for TRL's research and consultancy services by raising our profile with the strategic customer base across the land based transport domain.
Whilst a significant proportion of time will be spent at customer sites, the role will require a regular presence with the delivery teams based from our offices in Birmingham or Crowthorne, Berkshire.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
- Develop a pipeline of opportunities in collaboration with TRL's Market Development Leads, Programme Delivery Managers, Discipline Leads and Chief Scientists
- Develop and take to market, compelling Value Proposition centred on solving customer problems across one of our chosen markets: Research Services;Technical Advisory Services;Technical Solutions;Service Delivery.
- Convert opportunities to booked orders in line with personal target
- Set Campaign win strategies and deliver against challenging objectives securing core and strategic sales opportunities
- Ensure all business and opportunities are profitable to the business, while effectively meeting the needs of the customer
- Collaborate with the Delivery function to ensure the smooth transition of projects from sales to delivery, supporting Project Managers on client management issues
- Make effective use of the Salesforce system to capture client intelligence, activity and opportunities
- Produce timely and accurate reporting, forecasting and providing input into the annual budget and business planning cycle
Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in winning new business and delivering against targets. You will be an accomplished presenter with the ability to quickly build strong client relationships.
- Experience in business development within major clients across the public and private sectors - ideally for the surface transport domain.
- Demonstrable track record in achieving / exceeding targets and evidence of revenue growth
- Strong consultative sales skills with a focus on providing solutions
- Accomplished, credible and highly effective relationship builder
- Able to demonstrate high levels of commercial awareness
- Self-directed, motivated and driven
- Influential with great negotiating skills
Due to the highly technical nature of our research and consultancy work, applicants will ideally be qualified in an Engineering or Science subject to Further or Higher Education level.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate highly polished communication skills - with the honed ability to actively listen and define and deliver a concise and compelling proposition. To succeed you must be comfortable liaising with scientists and engineers who form much of our delivery team, and be able to distil their input into a message that further engages and meets the needs of the customer. Strong presentation skills are a must.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Competitive base & OTE
- Contributory Pension.
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package