Prior Park College is an independent day and boarding school for 600 girls and boys aged between 11 and 18. The school occupies an imposing 50 acre site on Ralph Allen Drive in Bath, combining beautiful Grade 1 listed buildings with more modern, purpose-built facilities. Prior Park College is one of the group of Prior Park Schools which includes our junior school, The Paragon, on a 7.5 acre site in Lyncombe Vale, Bath, and our sister school, Prior Park Gibraltar, opened in September 2016. More information can be found at www.priorparkcollege.com.
The Groundsperson carries out estate maintenance work and preparation of sports surfaces for both Prior Park College and The Paragon. The Team is based at and works from Prior Park College.
Please note that the list shown below is not exhaustive and other additional, reasonable tasks falling within the capabilities of the post holder may be required, depending on the needs of the business. Some tasks are carried out as part of a team.
· Daily maintenance of grounds, marking out all sports pitches and preparation of all playing surfaces using appropriate methods and machinery.
· Daily/weekly work at the Paragon school grounds, in addition to the main site.
· Cut grass to specified standards in non-sports areas.
· Operate machinery, ride on mowers, power tools, drive tractors and associated plant.
· Carry out all general grounds tasks, including turfcare, planting, shrub and tree pruning, maintenance of ditches, paths and removal of grass clippings and leaves.
· Maintain watercourses, assist with tree lopping, repairs to hard landscape areas including small projects, repairs to dry stone walls, etc.
· Help to repair and maintain machines and plant. Help to maintain and repair gates, fences and grounds/garden huts and out buildings.
· Carry out weed spraying, application of fertilisers, chemicals, etc.
· Attend appropriate training courses to allow safe use of chainsaws and other power equipment, if required and as agreed with the Estates Manager.
· Assist with erection and dismantling of sports equipment, goal posts, etc.
· As part of the Estates team, from time to time they will be expected to help with the general organisation of school events and also to help the maintenance team.
Professional Specification and Personal Attributes
The ideal candidate will display the following essential attributes:
· Ability to work unsupervised
· Good communication skills
· Ability to follow work routines and instructions
· Ability to work as a member of a team
· Full clean driving licence (to include tractor driving and towing a trailer)
The desirable criteria are:
· Knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety regulations and safe working practices
· NVQ2 Amenity Horticulture or equivalent qualification
· NPTC Cross Cutting Licence
· Chemical spraying licences (PA1, PA2 and PA6)
· Good knowledge and experience of Cricket Groundsman ship
· Knowledge and experience of artificial sports surfaces
· Ability to prioritise and organise work commitments
· Knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety and safe working practices
· Awareness of the responsibilities of working in an environment with young people.
The post holder must be honest and trustworthy with a good attention to detail and being able to work effectively as part of a small team.
Normal hours of work will be from 7.30 am until 4.00 pm, Monday to Friday. Saturdays are worked on a rota system for which overtime is paid.
In addition to normal public and Bank Holidays the Groundsperson will be entitled to 5 weeks paid holiday each year.
There is a contributory pension scheme. Staff can access free of charge school facilities, e.g. gym, swimming pool, tennis courts, etc. There is also a substantial free lunch during term-time. Free car parking is available.
Prior Park Educational Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
In the course of employment at Prior Park Educational Trust, staff may have access to confidential information relating to pupils and their families and are required to exercise due consideration in the way they use such information. Staff should not act in any way which might be prejudicial to the School’s interest. Information which may be included in the category covers both the general business of the school and information regarding specific individuals. A strict code of confidentiality must be adhered to at all times. The School is registered under the Data Protection Act 2018 and operates under policies that meet General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Staff must not at any time use the personal data held by the school or disclose such data to a third person.