Sub Editor - Daily Express
The Daily Express is looking for a talented Sub Editor to join our busy production team. As as a Sub Editor you will work closely with our editorial team and Chief Sub Editor to ensure the accuracy and quality of our content before publication.
Due to the nature of the role it is desirable that the successful candidate has previous experience of sub-editing within the newspaper/ magazine industry and working alongside reporters.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
We average 21 million mobile visitors - that's 60% of the entire mobile market. Each month we attract over 32 million unique visitors. That's more than our competitors. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
Editing copy to fit allocated space, checking facts, ensuring copy is accurate, and written in clear, plain English, writing accurate and effective headlines.
- Dealing with changes to stories as events unfold and updating copy quickly and accurately.
- Adhering to house style rules.
- Ensuring copy is legally sound and meets IPSO guidelines and company rules and guidelines.
The Ideal Candidate
- The skill and judgment to decide if copy can be left unchanged or if it needs to be rewritten.
- The ability to rewrite copy quickly, accurately and effectively.
- To meet the very high standards demanded on a national newspaper in terms of accurate, effective and mistake-free copy.
- The ability to write hard-hitting or entertaining headlines.
- Experienced production journalist with flair and creativity for rewriting stories and producing sharp, original headlines
- Excellent editorial judgment
- Ability to work to strict deadlines without compromising editorial standards - Excellent attention to detail
- Knowledge of newspaper law
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at