Audience Writer - Mirror Online
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a talented writer to join our growing team. The Audience Writer for Mirror Online will be a key part of the Audience team.
You will have the exciting task of sourcing, writing and creating content which will help us dramatically grow audience on our website, with a focus on driving traffic from search engines and social platforms.
This will involve working alongside a team of other talented writers under the guidance and direction of our Audience Editor. You will possess an eye for a good story and have a flair for writing, with the ability to adapt your tone and style for any audience or topic. We're looking for someone who can go, seamlessly, from writing a tongue-in-cheek Love Island piece to working on a harder-hitting real life story.
You will eagerly monitor trends on search and social platforms, use your judgment to assess whether these conversations and topics are right for our readers, then, if they are a good fit, use your experience and imagination to mould them into content people want to consume and share.
You will also use your creativity to generate original and unique ideas for content designed to drive social engagement and website traffic to Mirror Online. You will be able to forward plan original content and longer-form features around key upcoming events and capitalise on these when they happen.
This role would be ideally suited to a creative individual who is very comfortable with SEO, social media platforms and has a passion for writing.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
We average 21 million mobile visitors - that's 60% of the entire mobile market. Each month we attract over 32 million unique visitors. That's more than our competitors. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
- Monitor search and social trends
- Use social platforms, newsgathering tools and other avenues to find great stories that resonate with our audience
- Develop original ideas for content which will perform well on our platforms
- Come up with unique ideas about how we can engage new and existing
audiences, e. parents
- Create socially shareable content targeted at generating engagement on Mirror Online and associated social platforms from new and existing audiences
- Create content specifically optimised for search engines
- Assist wider newsroom in optimising content for all audiences
- Liaise with the Social team to maximise on social engagement
- Liaise with the SEO team to maximise on search traffic
- Facilitate and encourage user-generated content from the audience and targeted contributors
- Assist in managing relevant social channels
The Ideal Candidate
- An understanding of the Mirror social readership and the topics which
- Excellent web and social skills
- Journalistic background
- The ability to create socially shareable content
- In-depth knowledge of social media platforms and SEO
- The ability to liaise with and coordinate external contributors
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Able to generate creative content and campaign ideas
- Comfortable liaising with other departments on project
- This job involves shift work, including evenings and weekends. Hours will vary and candidates must be flexible.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at