Science Technician / Laboratory Technician / Lab Technician
Job Title: Science Technician
Location: Hulme, Manchester
Salary: Dependant on Experience
Position: Full Time, Perm
Closing date: 28th June 2019
The Sixth Form College is located in Hulme, a mile south of the centre of Manchester and very close to Manchester University and Manchester Metropolitan University, with excellent transport links. It is a part of an international network of Catholic schools and colleges.
Purpose of the role:
To work as part of a team to service the laboratories with primary oversight for a department, so that staff and students can carry out practical work efficiently, accurately and safely.
The post of Science Technician within the college is generic and the workload spread amongst all members of the team. Each candidate will be expected to have a primary oversight of either the Biology, Chemistry or Physics Departments, depending on their specialism.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To ensure the safe custody of chemicals and equipment within the science faculty, maintaining records of stock and identifying equipment for maintenance and repair.
- To prepare materials for whole class practicals, demonstrations and practical examinations. To include the accurate and clear labelling of chemicals.
- To monitor stock levels of chemicals and equipment frequently and to complete internal requisition forms as part of the process to maintain good stock levels.
- To source materials that are not readily available or need special handling. This will include approaching non-traditional education suppliers, eg. biological specimens, organs for dissection, materials that need adaption for use in class.
- To provide technical advice within own area of expertise to teachers and students as required, eg. whole class practicals, demonstrations, disposal of waste etc.
- To check, laboratory equipment, models, visual aids etc. and where appropriate to service and repair such items or to make arrangements for the work to be carried out by contractors.
- To maintain and organise paper and electronic files including practical instruction sheets, risk assessments, instruction manuals and data sheets, service and repair records, contact details of suppliers, labels and signage,
- To develop new experiments to enhance the teaching and learning of science within the college in conjunction with the Head of Department/Second in Department or delegated member of the teaching staff.
- To assist other members of the science technician team supporting other departments as required.
- A good knowledge of the use of subject specific equipment in the area of primary oversight used up to and occasionally beyond A-level teaching.
- The ability to handle apparatus/materials confidently and appropriately in line with the duties of the post
- A good knowledge of health and safety issues relating to science laboratories, the use of equipment and chemicals
- Ability to organise stock and maintain accurate records
- Ability to work with students with a wide range of abilities, in one to one situations, small groups and whole classes
- Proficiency in working with standard office applications such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook, data loggers
- Excellent attention to detail and maintaining a quality service
- Evidence of commitment to Continuous Professional Development
- Educated to Level 2, or equivalent, in English and Mathematics
- Educated to Level 3, or equivalent, in the relevant specialism
- Enhanced DBS Clearance
- Ability to meet the requirements of the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 (to be legally employed to work in the UK)
- Previous experience of providing technical and general support within a Science department
- Experience of handling chemicals
- Specialist knowledge of Science within the area of primary responsibility
- Membership of a professional body, eg. IoB, RSC, IoP, ASe etc.
- A clean driving licence and use of a vehicle
- Competent to carry out Portable Appliance Testing (with certificate)
- Good workshop skills, eg. basic carpentry, metal working and glass blowing, repair of electrical appliances, construction of models and teaching aids
- Educated to graduate level, or equivalent, or can demonstrate comparable knowledge and understanding of the relevant specialism gained through employment
- A nationally recognised safety qualification
To apply for this role please click APPLY and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for a link to the Application Form.
Candidates with experience of; Lab Technician, Laboratory Technician, Lab Technician in Science, Apprentice Laboratory Technician, Lab Assistant, Laboratory Assistant, Science Assistant, Science Technician, Biology Technician, Biology Assistant, Experiment Assistant, Experiment Technician, Lab Technician Apprentice will also be considered for this role.