Do you have a nose for a good news story? Want to join an exciting not-for-profit organisation and make a real difference by reporting on the amazing people we support? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Discovery is a passionate, people-focused support and care organisation that enables people with learning disabilities and autism to lead better lives with more choice and control.
We support around 900 people across Somerset and their families, providing care, support and accommodation. Putting people at the centre of everything we do, we place value on everyone’s unique contribution, whether they are those we support, their families or our colleagues.
Every day our dedicated support teams help people with learning disabilities and autism in Somerset write new chapters in their lives, from finding employment to learning new skills. We’re now looking for a Communications Officer to join us and unearth and share those stories widely across a range of media formats.
In return for your hard work and dedication, we offer ongoing development opportunities and the strongest possible prospects, plus a range of great benefits including:
- Salary between £20,000 to £25,000 dependent on experience
- Up to 35 days’ annual leave entitlement (including bank holidays)
- Access to discounts on high street shopping, cinema tickets and meals out
- Childcare vouchers
- Employee assistance programme
- Pension scheme
- Long service awards
- Life assurance
As a Communications Officer, you will identify, write and distribute a range of high-quality news stories and content to enhance our profile and reputation in Somerset.
In this exciting role, you’ll help us to broaden people’s horizons, challenge preconceptions and inspire people across Somerset in the art of what’s possible for the people we support.
Your duties will involve:
- Helping to create and update key messages
- Writing features, stories and content in a range of styles
- Overseeing the creation of our newsletters
- Helping to create multimedia content, such as infographics, audio, videos and animations
To join us as a Communications Officer, you’ll need:
- Experience of writing news stories and features for a range of internal and external channels and a diverse range of target audiences
- Previous experience in multimedia communications, such as video and animation
- Experience of proactive and reactive media relations and working with the media
- A degree level qualification or equivalent in journalism, public relations or similar
We’d like to hear from you if you’ve worked as a Communications Executive, PR Officer, Public Relations Office, Journalist, Reporter, Communications Co-ordinator, Marketing Executive, Writer or Copywriter.
Discovery are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the people we support. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from everyone.
So, if you are looking for a fresh, rewarding challenge as a Communications Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.