Dubbed an “open-source unicorn” by Forbes, Confluent is the fastest-growing enterprise subscription company our investors have ever seen. And how are we growing so fast? By pioneering a new technology category with an event streaming platform, which enables companies to leverage their data as a continually updating stream of events, not as static snapshots. This innovation has led Sequoia Capital, Benchmark and Index Ventures to recently invest a combined $125 million in our Series D financing. Our product has been adopted by Fortune 100 customers across all industries and we’re being led by the best in the space – our founders were the original creators of Apache Kafka ®. We’re looking for talented and amazing team players who want to accelerate our growth, while doing some of the best work in their career. Join us as we build the next transformative technology platform!
We are a team of passionate engineers who love solving complex distributed systems and infrastructure problems.
Culture is a huge part of Confluent, we’re searching for the best people who not only excel at their role but also contribute to the health, happiness and growth of the company. Inclusivity and openness are important traits, with regular company wide and team events. Here are some of the personal qualities we’re looking for:
• smart, humble and empathetic;
• hard working, you get things done;
• hungry to learn in a field which is ever evolving;
• adaptable to the myriad of challenges each day can present;
• inquisitive and not afraid to ask all the questions, no matter how basic;
• ready to roll up your sleeves and help others, getting involved in projects where you feel you can add value; and
• strive for excellence in your work, your team and the company.
Come and build with us. We are one of the fastest growing software companies in the market. A company built on the tenets of transparency, direct communication and inclusivity. Come meet the streams dream team and have a direct impact on how we shape Confluent.
About the team
• modernizing Kafka to make it infinitely scalable, elastic and globally replicated;
• building out best in class stream processing solutions like Kafka Streams and KSQL to perform rich, real time, transformation and querying of data in Kafka;
• revolutionizing how data pipelines are built through Kafka Connect; and
• running all of the above in our very own elastic, scalable cloud offering.
Key responsibilities and duties
The candidate will:
• devise the design of the software computer code so that it satisfies the technical specification in a maintainable fashion;
• implement the software code along with unit tests to verify its correctness;
• implement integration and system tests to ensure correctness of the system as a whole;
• deploy software to a staging environment;
• investigates and triages any escalations from the support team in response to customers filing tickets for any ongoing production issues;
• gather all forensic device needed to debug production issues and regularly communicate status to the support team;
• reports any bugs or customer feedback to the team to help align roadmap planning for future projects;
• participates in weekly engineering planning processes and prioritises features based on the overall business direction;
• collaborates with other members of the team to evaluate and review written software computer code;
• designs robust tests to ensure a high quality product;
• leverages unit and custom system integration test platform (Phython) to achieve multi-cluster, end-to-end testing of the product;
• uses Jenkins, Docker, Maven and Github technologies for infrastructure integration to complement our CI/CD pipelines; and
• refactors existing code to fit the needs of the newer features or product environments as well as to integrate new algorithms for performance improvements.
What we’re looking for
Candidates must possess the following mandatory qualifications, skills and experience:
• bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar field or equivalent;
• strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development;
• experience building and operating large-scale systems;
• solid understanding of basic systems operations (disk, network, operating systems, etc);
• proficiency in Java or C/C++;
• proficiency in Scala;
• a self-starter with the ability to work effectively in teams;
• smart, humble and empathetic;
• have a strong sense of teamwork and put team’s and company’s interests first; and
• driven and excited about challenges of a fast-paced, innovative software startup environment.
Preferred but not mandatory:
• experience in open-source development, experience using Apache Kafka is a big plus;
• interest in evangelism (giving talks at tech conferences, writing blog posts evangelizing Kafka); and
• experience working on stream processing technology or query processing systems.
Closing date: 4 July 2019