Social Media Editor
In this role you'll be working to super-charge the social media growth of some of our newest brands, such as Leeds Live (shortlisted for Website of the Year at this Year's Regional Press Awards), Lancs Live, Black Country Live, MyLondon and others.
These new launch sites have big ambitions and you'll help us use the latest social media storytelling techniques to ensure we're engaging our audiences across multiple established and emerging platforms.
You'll also work closely with our Head of Audience Engagement for Reach Regionals to ensure we're learning what our audience wants from our titles on social media and testing cutting-edge techniques across the world's largest social media platforms such as trialling new features from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others.
Our Live network of sites commands one of the largest audiences in UK media, and you could be at the heart of it. From Leeds to Somerset, from Edinburgh to Cheshire, we're a rapidly growing network of regional news sites which are local to the core and provide the best in latest news and information to our communities.
You will also be working as part of a team which is the eyes and ears of our Network across the UK from 4pm to 12midnight. Our audience doesn't sleep and while others are clocking off, you'll be there for the peak time when our audience logs on providing live updates, breaking news and more across the UK. You'll also help to accelerate our growth on social media platforms, both established and new, and experiment with ensuring we're reaching new audiences for some of our newer Live brands.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
- Growing the social media presences of our newer Live sites across our regional network
- Experimenting with new social media tools on established and emerging social platforms
- Writing Live News content for our network of Live sites, particularly in new markets we've launched in across the UK
- Monitoring social media feeds, traffic and travel feeds, tip-off feeds and more to ensure the largest stories are covered in the evening on our Live Network
- Providing desk-based support to process content, add additional reporting and run live updates for our newsrooms throughout the evening period to maximise audience
- Writing copy and running live updates to SEO guidelines and industry-leading best practice
- Writing video-led stories and picture-led stories from the biggest stories across our Network
- Providing Live News support on pre-planned evening news events
The Ideal Candidate
- A senior qualified journalist with newsroom experience
- Able to demonstrate excellent decision-making skills in high pressure environments
- Able to work evenings and weekends, a requirement of the role
- Able to demonstrate the use of analytics in content choices
- Strong social media monitoring and story sourcing skills
- Experience of content management
- Understanding of editorial strategy and brand values
- Excellent digital publishing skills
- An understanding of social media both in terms of finding content and sharing it
- An understanding of how to use analytics to inform content commissioning and production - or a willingness to learn
- First-class organisational skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Good judgement
- Energy, drive, determination and self-motivation
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.