Lead Data Scientist
R&D Lead Data Scientist
You will lead the development, deployment and operations of the UK Centre's data science activities. This will involve understanding business needs, working with external partners (suppliers, academics and R&D colleagues) and helping business units to maximise the benefit of data science. You will work closely with other data-science teams in the business.
Build, evolve and maintain a 'Data Lab'. This involves assessing and selecting the best tools,
platforms and approaches needed to deliver successful data science projects. Careful consideration
will be given to performance and security. The aim will be to obtain consistency with other
Energy systems but the priority is a system that is optimised for the team's specific needs. You will
need to continually assess best practices from across industries. You will review and test new tools
Act as principal expert in data science. You should aim to be the best data scientist in the
company. You will manage and mentor talented and highly qualified, but less experienced, data
scientists in the team. You will act as a respected point of reference for peers across the company.
You will share your expertise and experience within R&D the group and beyond.
Deliver exceptional data science projects. You will work with the team's project managers to design and deliver high-quality data science projects that meet the needs of the business customer. This will involve scoping the problem, assessing possible technical approaches, estimating time and effort involved and constructing an appropriate project plan. While overall management of projects will be the responsibility of the project manager, you will lead the delivery of the data science elements.
Key objectives to start
- Maintain the existing Data Lab. This will involve managing an AWS platform and a series of tools including Dataiku, Jupyter notebooks, Tableau and Docker.
- Continually test alternative tools and share your experience with colleagues. This could be in the form of an email or in a half-day skill-building session
- Develop a seamless process to design, build, test and deploy into production algorithms or models which are developed by R&D and managed by the business
- Lead the technical delivery of a project to identify customers who own an electric vehicle through analysis of 30-minute smart meter data. The deliverable would be a tool that can be used by the business on an ongoing basis
- Lead the technical delivery of a major government-funded project to assess the thermal efficiency of homes using 30-minute smart meter data, weather data and property characteristics. The deliverable would be a new approach, packaged code and detailed documentation.
- Support the delivery of a project to infer the diameter of bores inside a nuclear power station's graphite core, using deep neural networks. The deliverable will be packaged code, documentation and report.
- Help design the data store for a new blockchain-based peer-to-peer electricity trading platform
- Contribute your knowledge and opinion to the development of a new company data strategy
- Mentor two newly qualified data scientists through the course of these projects
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge & Skills
- Masters-level academic qualification in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics or a related
- data-intensive field
- Extensive experience with data analysis, data warehouse, big data technologies, machine learning
- Proven experience designing and building complex models or algorithms that can run autonomously on large data sets
- Experience with reporting and visualisation technologies
- Extensive experience with cloud computing (especially AWS) and virtualisation technologies
- Experience with microservices and containerization tools such as Docker
- Experience designing robust and efficient system architectures
- Outstanding working knowledge of Python and its libraries on large scale analytics applications
- Very proactive - able to propose new areas of focus or new solutions to problems
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies
- Experience with app and web service development on large datasets and distributed computing environment
- Familiarity with the lifecycle of overall digital projects, from idea to market rollout
- Experience at working independently with good self-discipline as well as working in a highly collaborative team.
- PhD-level in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics or a related data-intensive field
- In-depth knowledge of the energy sector. This could include specific expertise in energy systems, building physics, engineering, chemistry.
- International experience
- An existing professional network in the digital field
- Experience in mentoring colleagues or managing a small team
- Business-level French
Reporting and location
You will be part of the R&D Digital Innovation team within the R&D UK Centre, and you will report to the Head of R&D Digital Innovation.
This position is based mainly at the Hove site, with regular (approximately every two weeks)
travel to other sites in the UK and occasional (approximately every two months) to France.
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.