Division: Financial Services
Grade: 12 (£46,514 - £48,412)
Responsible To: Deputy Chief Finance Officer / Director of Resources
Location: Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire
To manage and continually develop financial management throughout the Council.
Each Finance Manager will be supported by an interchangeable team of Principal Accountant, Senior Accountants and Accounting Technicians. The team will be responsible for the financial management of an agreed service area. The team will be rotated periodically to aid their professional development and provide the Authority with some resilience, to cover staff absences.
- To act as lead officer(s) for one or more of the following operational areas which may be rotated from time to time (Revenue, HRA, Capital, Treasury Management, Exchequer Services, and the Financial Management Information System).
- To manage diverse teams and functions across the Finance Division, providing strong leadership and motivation for staff to ensure the provision of a service of the highest quality. Share responsibility for setting work standards and ensuring compliance with professional and regulatory requirements.
- To ensure robust and effective management is in place for the preparation of budgets, meeting budget challenges, budgetary control, the closure of accounts and the preparation of the financial statements by statutory or Council deadlines.
- To provide expert financial management guidance and advice to Directors, Heads of Service, Service Managers and Elected Members on accounting, financial management and budget challenge issues whilst being responsive to their needs. Engage with and influence senior managers on the strategic elements of service planning, including analysis of the financial dimension of service demand developments, trends and associated options.
- To ensure that all relevant regulations and statutory requirements are adhered to.
- Contribute to the development of the Resources Directorate Service Plan and MTFP, and be accountable for the delivery of assigned elements. To continually and effectively develop the teams and functions in response to changing internal and external needs and requirements.
- Liaison with the Council’s external auditors during the inspection of the financial statements and the audit of grant claims.
- Reporting and presenting to the Council’s Cabinet, Audit Committee, Overview & Scrutiny Committees and Members Workshops.
- Annual review and updating of financial management strategies, policies and procedures.
- Deputising for the Deputy Chief Finance Officer (and the Director of Resources) at internal and external meetings.
- A fully qualified Accountant (CCAB, CIMA or overseas equivalent) with five years post qualification experience (advantageous) and evidence of Continuing Professional Development, and preferably supported by a recognised managerial qualification or equivalent qualification.
- Substantial experience of working in a large public sector organisation and an up-to-date knowledge of current developments affecting local government.
- Substantial experience (at least ten years) of financial management in the public sector with exposure to major budget challenges and value for money requirements, as well as the operational management of major accounting functions.
- Detailed knowledge of local government accounting conventions and the regulatory environment, and an up-to-date knowledge of current developments affecting accounting practice.
- Substantial experience managing a finance/accountancy team in a public sector organisation of comparable size and complexity.
- An ability to lead, control and motivate staff and delivering to strict deadlines, including inter-personal skills.
- A clear vision of the contribution that exceptional financial management makes to organisational success.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with considerable experience of reporting and presenting to senior management and elected members and attendance at meetings of external bodies and organisations.
- A flexible and innovative approach to work and problem solving with proven experience of change management.
- Welsh language desirable.
Please click apply to visit website