Domestic Services, House Cleaning Supervisor
1 day left
- Part Time
Domestic Services, House Cleaning Supervisor
Responsible to: Deputy Bursar through Assistant Domestic Services Manager (House and Laundry).
Internal Relationships: All Staff - but in particular Deputy Bursar, Operations and Project Manager, Domestic Services Manager, Assistant Domestic Services Manager, Domestic Services team, Maintenance team, Health and Safety Manager, Academic departments and Charterhouse Enterprises. Housemasters/Housemistresses, Matrons, Relief Matrons, Pupils, Hunt Health Centre, House Tutors, Deputy Head (Pastoral), Assistant Head (Pastoral).
External Relationships: Parents of existing and prospective pupil, Catering, outside cleaning contractors (eg. phs, Chambers Waste Management), members of the public.
To deliver the best possible cost-effective non-teaching support to all appropriate stakeholders in order to assist in achieving the educational experience set out in the School’s vision and development strategy.
Basic Purpose of the Job
The role in the main revolves around the housekeeping of all of the Boarding Houses at Charterhouse. There are currently 13 Boarding Houses at Charterhouse.
Each Boarding house has a team of 4 cleaners plus an additional cleaner who works on Private-side. The role will include the supervision of all of the House cleaning teams to ensure cleaning standards are met within all Houses in a timely and efficient fashion both during term time and the Spring Clean weeks.
- To oversee the signing in & out of all House Cleaners; scheduling shifts and arranging cover in instances of absence.
- Overseeing the staff, performing a daily check to ensure the Boarding Houses are cleaned to the standards required.
- Provide training to the House Cleaners to ensure they have the correct tools and knowledge to clean to the standards required.
- To oversee the Spring Clean weeks to ensure the deep clean tasks are undertaken to a high standard within Boarding Houses.
- To ensure that the Boarding Houses are closed down efficiently.
- To ensure following the second Spring Clean week that the Boarding Houses are completely ready for start of term.
- To report to Assistant Domestic Services Manager any issues with any of the House Cleaners including lateness and absenteeism.
- To oversee all laundry tasks connected with the Central Laundry within the Boarding Houses to ensure laundry is processed efficiently.
- To be responsible for reporting on a weekly basis any maintenance requests within the Boarding Houses.
- To ensure all cleaning cupboards have all the necessary cleaning products and to regularly reorder when required.
- To report and undertake the need for any risk assessments directly to Assistant Domestic Services Manager.
Knowledge and Skills Required
Relevant Experience/knowledge & technical Competence
Experience of supervising others
Experience of Manual Handling
Strong communication skills
Stamina to meet the physical demands of the job
A team player with a 'can do’ attitude
Common sense approach and able to pay close attention to detail
Self-assured, yet not over familiar, with people of varying backgrounds and experiences
Capable of working under pressure
Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook
Literate and numerate
GENERAL TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Special Working Conditions
Working hours for this role are 08.30 - 13.30 Monday to Friday, 5 hours per day all year round. The weeks before term start and following term finish are primarily concerned with preparations to ensure the houses are clean, tidy and ready for occupation.
It would be expected that Carthusian Day (currently held on the 2nd bank holiday in May) and Old Carthusian Day (School open day) would be normal working days. There would also be a requirement for the post holder to be able to work occasional overtime on Saturdays and Bank Holidays if they coincide with House preparation weeks.
The Job Holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom they are responsible, or with whom they come into contact, will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Safeguarding Policy at all times. If, in the course of carrying out the duties of the post, the Job Holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the School they must report any concerns to the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Benefits of Employment
Annual salary of £14,976 based on an hourly rate of £11.52
Holiday 5 weeks holiday plus bank holidays (it may not be possible to take public holidays during term-time, and time off will be given in lieu)
Membership of the Charterhouse Club (sports centre)
Inclusion in Personal Accident Insurance Cover
School lunches are usually available throughout the year on working days (except when School closes)
Death in Service Benefit
Contributory Pension Scheme
Benefits subject to eligibility criteria:
Subsidised membership of School Golf Club
Cycle to Work Scheme
One week during probationary period (6 months). Once the appointment is confirmed both parties are required to give at least one months’ notice.
If you are invited to interview this will be conducted in person and the areas which it will explore will include suitability to work with children.
At least 1 interview with the Assistant Domestic Services Manager, Deputy Bursar and HR Manager
Tour of the School (if applicable)
Apply for Domestic Services, House Cleaning Supervisor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly