Edinburgh or Glasgow - AML - Lawyer
Posted on February 8, 2019
Term: Permanent Working hours: Full-time Practice group: AML Location: Edinburgh or Glasgow Purpose of role
To support the EMEA AML Manager and Global Head of AML/CDD to advise, design and implement effective controls and policies to ensure the firm and its staff comply with applicable anti-money laundering laws and regulations, international financial sanctions and professional conduct rules and best practice in relation to new business intake processes.
The role will involve assessing clients and their matters to ensure compliance with applicable legislation and to advise the Firm on financial crime and other risk issues.
- Keeping up to date with applicable AML laws and regulations globally and advising on how these changes affect the Firm and its processes
- Advising on the application of international financial sanctions and obtaining licenses
- Handling all types of client due diligence and client care issues with minimal supervision
- Handling complex matter opening issues taking into account local legal requirements (as applicable)
- Reviewing and drafting documents including engagement letters, client terms and NDAs
- Assisting with the review and approval of all new matters and clients
- Assisting with basic data protection queries
- Assisting with regulatory AML audits
- Advising on complex inter-office working arrangements
- Understanding the relevant rules regarding billing and seek tax advice where necessary
- Drafting, maintaining and implementing AML policies and procedures
- Providing a 'concierge' service to partners by liaising with clients directly on AML issues, either in person, on the phone or in writing.
- Assisting with AML investigations and reporting Suspicious Activity Reports
- Develop internal AML awareness and establish effective training programmes
- Assists on projects supporting the EMEA AML Manager and the Global Head of AML/CDD
- Qualified and admitted solicitor/ lawyer, preferably with inhouse experience or compliance/risk experience working in a law firm or a professional services environment
- Experience in drafting a range of legal documents
- A good knowledge of relevant compliance rules and regulations, including (but not limited to) confidentiality,anti-bribery and corruption, money laundering, UN/UK/US/EU sanctions, and other international laws and regulations
- Highly effective research skills
- Able to assemble research and produce clear, accurate findings
- Able to analyse issues and draw/express conclusions succinctly
- Able to advise the wider firm on AML and financial crime risk issues, clearly and succinctly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to interact at all levels within the firm and is a good team player
- Able to confidently and clearly explain problems and issues to partners/fee earners and proactively contribute to their resolution
- Able to use internal precedents and draft emails in plain English
- An understanding of Elite and the billing processes
- PC literate with a good working knowledge of MS Office, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Able to keep all general administration up-to-date and under control
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; can clearly explain and present problems and issues to others
- Able to demonstrate excellent customer facing skills
- Able to make incisive decisions and remain calm under pressure
- Able to effectively manage and prioritise tasks where appropriate
- Able to analyse and recognise the need for improvement to systems and suggest options for improvement to the EMEA AML Manager and Global Head of AML/CDD
- Take an efficient and organised approach to dealing with administration.
- Able to be an ambassador for Dentons, being professional in outlook and attitude
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all and encouraging diversity. This is right for our staff and for our business. Our promotion of diversity helps us achieve our aims: by creating and maintaining a firm-wide culture of inclusion, the unique talents and potential of all our workforce can be recognised, encouraged and supported. Diversity and Inclusion are becoming increasingly important to our clients and many now seek appropriate assurance that we match their own corporate aspirations in this regard. We are proud that in the Firm's most recent staff engagement survey 78% of respondents felt that we have an inclusive culture which respects individual differences and that everyone is given equal opportunities for career development.
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities.
We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities and support those in the workplace who have a disability. Any disability disclosure will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively and if you want to speak directly to a member of our team, please contact .
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. .