Apollo Syndicate Management Ltd
This is an embedded analytics role within the recently launched ibott (Insuring Businesses of Tomorrow Today) business unit. ibott focusses on providing property and liability insurance solutions to help sharing economy businesses grow. The ibott Underwriting team is highly rated and respected globally. ibott is part of the Casualty class of business managed by Apollo Syndicate Management for Syndicate 1969 at Lloyd’s.
Significant premium growth is planned for the business unit over the next 24 months and the need for further dedicated actuarial analysis of sharing economy data and product development for sharing economy businesses. A dedicated qualified actuary was added to the business in 2018 and the business is now looking for a dedicated analyst to join the team to assist the actuary.
The role is heavily data and analytics focused and requires the analyst to take ownership of managing and consolidating various data sources, developing clever analytical insights from the data and creating scalable analytics tools to support the business.
- Support the ibott actuary in managing data sources and creating and maintaining analytics tools.
- Assist in rate making, structuring and pricing for insurance submissions and renewals.
- Assist in the development of actuarial models using programming languages such as R and Python.
- Identify and present areas where improvements may be made enabling tasks to be completed in a more efficient manner.
- Develop knowledge of underwriting, actuarial, systems and processes within the business and relevant sub classes.
- Develop your business and market knowledge and awareness of relevant issues impacting the business and relevant sub classes.
- Act with integrity.
- Act with due skill, care and diligence.
- Be open and co-operative with the FCA, the PRA and other regulators.
Skills & Experience
- Exposure to Statistics as major subject during studies.
- Degree level or higher qualification in a relevant mathematics based subject.
- Highly numerate degree with excellent grades from a respected university.
- High attention to detail, particularly as regards the consistency, integrity and availability of data and information.
- Proven experience of working with a variety of data sources although focus is on Microsoft Excel and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Proven experience of creating and maintaining databases, tables, stored procedures and functions in Microsoft SQL Server.
- Ability to operate to a strict timetable of delivery.
- Delivery focused and proven ability to communicate with colleagues inside and outside of the team as well as external third partners and solutions providers.
- Be able to explain mathematical concepts such as multi linear regression to non statistical people
- Experience working with one or more of the following open source software packages: Python, R, C#
- A willingness to learn new things and to grow expertise and educate and assist colleagues.
- Exposure to Mathematics and Computer Science as major subjects during studies.
- Exposure to and understanding of the agile software development paradigm.
- A knowledge of object oriented programming and design.
- Experience working in financial services generally and non-life insurance more specifically.
- Experience with US Commercial Auto or General Liability business.
- Curiosity about all things data engineering and data science.
- A willingness to develop expertise in data engineering and data science.
- A willingness to challenge the status quo.
Posting date: 28 May 2019
Closing date: 25 June 2019