Content Editor - Hull Live
- Full Time
Hull Live has an exciting opportunity for a Content Editor to join the team. We are looking for a qualified journalist who will be able to organise and manage the publishing of fresh, engaging and accurate content packages for Hull Live, in support of digital audiences and in keeping with brand values.
If you have experience in content writing and management, and have a strong understanding of digital audience behaviour, this could be the position for you.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
We average 21 million mobile visitors - that's 60% of the entire mobile market. Each month we attract over 32 million unique visitors. That's more than our competitors. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
The content desk oversees the commissioning, publishing and sharing of live news, trending content, planned and advance content which includes words, pictures and videos. Responsibilities include:
- Manage live daily content schedule and copy flow for Hull Live on web, mobile, app and social, in line with news diary and audience spikes, and in support of audience targets
- Use analytics to inform content decision-making and commissions at all times
- Ensure search engine-optimised, engaging, legally sound and accurate content (words, video, pictures and audio) is delivered in line with audience demand and trends
- Plan content publication by scheduling, commissioning, editing, publishing and sharing packages created by the content team
- Lead compilation of daily content lists in communication with content creators, playing an active role in conferences and planning meetings as required
- Liaise with digital production and audience engagement teams on placement of content on homepage, social and apps, using analytics to help inform decision-making
- Ensure agreed workflows are followed so that digital content is made available to print publishing unit according to agreed deadlines
- Ensure that content is promoted via an effective social media presence
- Manage a team of reporters, video reporters and photographers, providing clear briefings and feedback on content requirements as well as appropriate pastoral care
- Ensure effective communication between relevant people/departments
The Ideal Candidate
- Reach PLC or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- At least two years of experience in content writing, editing and/or management
- Demonstrable experience of team management and motivation
- An expert storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content
- Excellent understanding of SEO, search, social and digital audience behaviour
- Proven digital skills including experience of using a content management system
- Ability to use and apply learning through digital analytics
- Ability to make a positive contribution to daily conferences
- Creativity and flair
- Ability to present confidently
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated, highly organised and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.