2 days left
- Full Time
Do you want to work in one of the country's most vibrant newsrooms covering the best city in the world? We are already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience but we want to get even bigger.
We are looking for candidates with excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills, and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
Manchester is the gateway to some of England's most popular tourism destinations with more than 50m people visiting the Lake District, Blackpool, North Wales, the Peak District and Manchester itself. Our airport attracts 27m passengers.
We are looking for a writer to create compelling stories around these key destinations as well as building an audience around this content at the Manchester Evening News.
We are seeking candidates looking for full time hours, however we welcome and are open to applicants seeking a flexible working arrangement.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
We average 21 million mobile visitors - that's 60% of the entire mobile market. Each month we attract over 32 million unique visitors. That's more than our competitors. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
- Understand how to create useful search content of interest to people visiting key tourist attractions in and around Greater Manchester
- Understand how to identify the stories that people want to read
- Be able to tell stories in a clear and accurate way
- Provide quality content to tight deadlines
- Have a strong understanding of seo
- Have a sophisticated understanding of how to use social media to spot opportunities and identify relevant trending content
- Understand the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
- Understand the value of analytics to inform content decisions
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Reach PLC's editorial and company policies
- Maintain a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
The Ideal Candidate
- Reach PLC or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
- A strong storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content
- A skilled user of social media to engage audiences, source ideas and share content
- Great communication skills and the ability to build a strong network of contacts
- Excellent writing skills
- A good understanding of SEO
- Ability to edit video would be useful
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- A team player, willing to work flexibly
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.