National News Editor
We are looking for an experienced digital journalist to come and join the Reach community to head the coverage of national and international news on one of the UK's largest regional news websites.
Based at the Manchester Evening News, you will be responsible for connecting our readers to our content which can cover everything from Brexit to 'Baby Sussex' as well as nurture the careful selection of national stories that can sometimes be overlooked by London-based media.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
We average 21 million mobile visitors - that's 60% of the entire mobile market. Each month we attract over 32 million unique visitors. That's more than our competitors. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
- Desk copy to ensure it is SEO-optimised, sings for social media and engages audiences once they land on our sites
- Make quality content choices about the types of UK and World News we publish
- Copy tasting from content feeds such as the Press Association and other providers
- Check Google Trends and other industry-leading tools to understand whether our stories are discoverable and reaching the maximum possible audience
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience of content management is required in order to ensure a solid understanding of editorial strategy and brand values
- Ability to lead by example and motivate others to reach their potential
- A background using digital publishing skills and social media is an asset but not required
- An understanding of how to use analytics to inform content commissioning and production, or a willingness to learn
- Demonstrable experience using tools such as Google Trends or other search-based analytics tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- A collaborative and positive mindset and comfortable working to tight timeframes
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.