UK and World News Writer
Manchester is a city with a global outlook and one of the largest news audiences in the UK.
We are looking for a News Writer to come and join our growing community to connect our Mancunian digital readers to our content through the coverage of national and international events. Here at Reach, we are committed to increasing our digital readership so this role will be pivotal to ensuring we reach more people, more often and more meaningfully.
Based at the Manchester Evening News, you'll be one of those people who can reel off the name of the Northern Powerhouse minister and also the name of the latest storm heading for the UK.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
We average 21 million mobile visitors - that's 60% of the entire mobile market. Each month we attract over 32 million unique visitors. That's more than our competitors. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
- Write copy to ensure it is SEO optimised, sings for social media and engages audiences once they land on our site
- Copy taste from content feeds such as the Press Association and other providers
- Understand how to spot the national and international stories which most interest our audiences
- Maintain thorough and up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience as a Journalist or Senior Journalist, ideally at least 2 years
- A background using digital publishing skills and social media is an asset but not required
- An understanding of how to use analytics to inform content commissioning and production, or a willingness to learn
- Demonstrable experience using tools such as Google Trends or other search-based analytics tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Capable of working with minimal supervision and working to tight timeframes
This role will involve some evening and weekend working to maximise audience around large-scale UK and World News events but will be compensated appropriately in line with our company policies.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.