Electron Beam Welding & Processing, Granta Park, Cambridge
TWI is a world leading research and technology organisation, internationally renowned for its expertise in engineering, materials and joining technologies. We provide industry with advice and know-how in design, fabrication, failure analysis and prevention.
The Electron Beam technology team at TWI is expanding and is seeking a self-motivated Apprentice Technician/Technician with mechanical, engineering or materials skills. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with advanced developments and applications of electron beam welding, additive manufacture, surfacing and equipment.
The diversity of industrial electron beam technology developed and delivered by TWI is globally unique making this an exciting career development opportunity. Contributing to internationally renowned work on established and emerging electron beam techniques, you will enjoy responsibility for, and rapidly gain experience in, these areas.
You will strengthen the capabilities of a knowledgeable, innovative and welcoming team by taking on responsibilities including the full working knowledge and programming of our electron beam equipment, preparation of components and samples pre and post weld, laboratory experiments, maintenance of equipment and design and development of jigs, fixtures and welding parameters.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
• Undertake training to operate electron beam equipment in a safe manner, understanding Health Safety and Environmental risks, and following TWI procedures / work instructions.
• Develop knowledge and understanding to work on vacuum systems. • Basic TIG, MMA and MAG welding applications.
• CNC programming.
• Design and build of one off tooling systems to support the electron beam activities.
• Undertake research tests to meet the technical objectives of the project work and corporate research and development programs.
• Capture, log and collate data from welding activities to present to the project team.
• Carryout maintenance tasks and fault finding on all electron beam related equipment, inclusive mechanical and electrical components.
• Basic manual machining on centre lathes, vertical mills and surface grinders.
• Assist in the building of prototype or dedicated control equipment as part of a wider team, often from a customer’s brief and verbal instruction.
• Act as part of a team to deliver activities, which support operational objectives.
• Make decisions within parameters set by management/supervision, using job/specialist experience and escalating issues when required.
• Interacting with stakeholders around specific work efforts and deliverables.
• Work in accordance with local procedures and health and safety requirements
• Successfully complete apprenticeship program (NVQ level 3, PEO, BTEC) – Apprentice only
• Conducts themselves in line with TWI’s values of teamwork, innovation, taking responsibility, customer focus, adaptability and respect.
Applicants must possess:
• A recognised qualification for mechanical or electronic/electrical engineering (ie BTEC, City and Guilds) (non-applicable to apprentice applicants)
• Good team and networking abilities, demonstrating initiative thinking and self-motivation.
• Strong communication skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines using own initiative.
• The ability to obtain UK National security clearances is required.
The successful candidate will be subject to the HMG Baseline Personnel Security Standard pre-employment screening process and possibly, to National Security Vetting during on-going employment.
Hours: 36 hours p/wk.
Closing Date: 17th June 2019
Click apply below for further information!