STAGE MANAGER EXPRESSIVE ARTS TECHNICIAN
Stage Manager/Expressive Arts Technician
Purpose of the Job:
The role of the Stage Manager/Expressive Arts Technician is to provide support for the curricular and extra-curricular activities within the School, particularly in support of the Expressive Arts, Drama and Music Departments.
The Stage Manager/Expressive Arts Technician is accountable to the Headmistress via the Head of Expressive Arts & Drama.
* Set up and operate lighting, sound and multimedia equipment
* Liaise with relevant departments and individuals to ensure support is anticipated and provided
* Provide technical and creative support to all users of York Hall and school performance spaces in term time and for organisations that hire the building during School holidays.
* Assist during production weeks to ensure rehearsals and production meetings run smoothly
Provide training opportunities for students and adults in the workings of the sound and lighting equipment
* Provide sound recording, filming, editing, previewing and storage for Expressive Arts assessments, examinations and productions
* Provide first-line maintenance support for all relevant technical equipment, machines, furniture, fixtures and fittings
* Maintain an inventory of all equipment and materials held and used
* Ensure all equipment is stored safely and is accessible to others when absent
* Liaise with IT staff over software requirements and system support and with the Estates team regarding the building of sets and equipment
* Hire / purchase of specialist equipment as needed
* Ensure all health and safety requirements are met for the use of the performances spaces and produce risk assessments for all theatre / event activities
* Support the Drama, Music and Art Department, or any other Department as necessary to ensure the smooth running of events and performances
* Provide technical support for assemblies and hymn practice
* Attend the School Health & Safety Committee meetings
* Organise annual safety checks of all technical equipment, machines, furniture, fixtures and fittings
* Oversee Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) on technical equipment within the Drama & Expressive Arts Department
* When required, provide technical assistance to external users. If not during normal working hours this will be paid at an hourly rate and recharged to the hirer.
* As productions take place in the evening some extended working days are to be expected. Time off in lieu can be taken.
Skills and Experience
* Empathy with the aims and ethos of the School
* Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends
* Strong, proven experience in stage / production management
* Strong, proven experience and/or qualification in sound and lighting design
* Up-to-date knowledge of lighting systems, control apparatus, equipment and its maintenance
* Up-to-date knowledge of digital audio and audio-visual equipment and its use in relation to live, recorded and play-back techniques
* An enthusiasm for working with and advising young people in technical theatre and production and able to form positive relationships
* Excellent interpersonal skills, able to communicate clearly and consistently with all theatre and event space users, especially non-technical users
* Highly organised with successful experience in meeting deadlines and managing conflicting priorities
* Experience in implementing health and safety requirements and risk assessments
* Confident in working independently but also willing to collaborate across departments.
* Strong interest in, or proven experience of a similar role in school/ professional productions
* Formal training for working at height
* Excellent working knowledge of IT including projector set-up, PowerPoint presentations and specific theatre industry operating and design programmes
* Confident in manual-handling/heavy lifting of theatre equipment, climbing ladders etc. and able to do so safely
* Experience of Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)
* Experience of working in theatre for a school, college or university
All School staff are expected to:
a.support the School's Boarding ethos including support for activities in the evening and weekend on a pro rata rota basis;
b.work towards and support the School vision and the current School objectives outlined in the School Development Plan;
c.contribute to the School's programme of extra-curricular activities;
d.support and contribute to the School's responsibility for safeguarding students;
e.regularly review own practice, set personal development targets and take responsibility for own continuous professional development;
f.work within the School's Health and Safety Policy to ensure a safe working environment for staff, students and visitors;
g.work within the Equal Opportunities Policy to promote equality of opportunity for all students and staff, both current and prospective;
h.maintain high professional standards of attendance, punctuality, appearance, conduct and positive, courteous relations with students, parents and colleagues;
i.engage actively in the performance review process;
j.adhere to policies as set out in the Staff Handbook/Teacher Standards and Regulations;
k.undertake other reasonable duties related to the job purpose required from time to time;
l.adhere to School Safeguarding and Child Protection Policies.
Malvern St James is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post; it is to be enabling rather than restrictive. It will be reviewed at least once every two years and it may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the post holder.
The completed application form, which must include all dates of previous employment and give reasons for any gaps in employment, an accompanying CV, together with a covering letter addressed to the Headmistress, should be returned to Mrs Alison Barber, HR Manager, by post to Malvern St James, 15 Avenue Road, Great Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3BA, or by email to
A CV will not be accepted instead of a completed application form. The personal statement within the application form should set out why you consider yourself a suitable candidate for the post citing relevant experience, previous achievements and your vision for this role. The statement should not repeat the contents of the covering letter.
References of shortlisted candidates will normally be taken up before interview. Two satisfactory references are required before the appointment is confirmed. The appointment of the successful candidate will also be subject to satisfactory DBS checking.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT MALVERN ST JAMES GIRLS' SCHOOL
Malvern St James Girls' School prides itself on its warm, friendly and welcoming environment where all staff are encouraged to play a part in a successful and supportive community.
We offer a competitive salary, taking into account previous experience and relative skills and abilities. Teaching salaries are paid on Malvern St James Teachers' Pay Scale.
After completing three months' employment with Malvern St James, Support Staff will automatically be enrolled into our Pension scheme, to which the School also contributes, this is subject to satisfying certain eligibility criteria and subject to the rules of such scheme as amended from time to time.
Teaching Staff are automatically entered into the Teachers' Pension Scheme.
Death in Service Cover.
MSJ Sports & Fitness Centre promotes flexibility as a key attribute to create fitter, healthier employees. Discounted membership for staff includes gym and swim and a wide range of classes. Membership contributions are taken by direct debit.
The Sports Club provides many activities for members. These include a wide range of sports, organised tours and regular competitions.
Other benefits include:
* Fee remission
* Lunch provided
* Onsite Pavilion Caf??
* Access to Massage
* Access to Reflexology
* Access to Malvern Theatre Stand-by Club - Discounted tickets