Residential Graduate Assistant - Music Department
Job Title: Residential Gap Student (Fixed Term)
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time, Fixed Term (One Year) To start September 2019
Closing date: Noon Friday 31st May 2019
The company is a co-educational independent preparatory school offering both day and weekly boarding education for children aged 2½ - 13 years, in a caring Christian family atmosphere.
They are looking for an enthusiastic and passionate graduate to assist the Director of Music in sustaining and promoting excellent standards in music along with dealing with all of the music school administration.
Purpose of the Role:
Reporting to the Director of Music, this position will be a member of the Music School and assist the Director of Music in sustaining and promoting excellent standards in both curricular and co-curricular and be responsible for the music school administration.
As well as accompanying rehearsals and performances you will also assist with the organisation of concerts, ensembles and other musical events and trips. You will also work closely with members of the peripatetic team, producing their timetables, dealing with waiting list updates and parent requests
- Assisting with music concerts, including a number of evening performances, mainly in the role of accompanist
- Ensure all concerts are audio and video recorded
- Enthuse, organise, stimulate and facilitate both group and individual music
- Assisting the Department of Music in the preparation of ensembles for performances, including selection of appropriate repertoire, conducting and coaching the group, sections and individuals, so they learn musicianship and transferable skills as well as improving their collective performance
- Take the initiative in creating opportunities for pupils to make music collaboratively
- Challenge and extend the musicians to aspire to levels of musicianship which they might consider beyond them
- Assisting with the administering of ensembles and rehearsals; ensuring the correct equipment, locations and music are prepared keeping records of attendance and following up any non-attendees, ensuring that rehearsal is both engaging and purposeful for all and no pupil can detract from the efforts of others
- Assist with the organisation of concerts by advising on repertoire, timings, preparations and performers
- To conduct, as necessary, or accompany performances in concerts and events, and to help with practical arrangements 'on the night'
- To assist with Music Scholarships
- To assist with Music School trips to ensure that pupils have the opportunity to hear professional musicians performing in a variety of genres
- Music School administration to include - producing Visiting Music Teacher Timetables, music exam administration, preparing concert programmes, producing worksheets, dealing with waiting list update/parent requests, music order and disbursement
- Help to develop and manage display space
- To do any other duty in so far as the Department of Music or the Headmaster may reasonably ask
To be successful in the role you will have/be:
- A recent graduate with a good degree from a recognised university
- Outstanding musician
- Accomplished pianist, able to accompany ABRSM exams and in concerts
- Strong interest in exploring teaching as a career
- A passionate and creative musician, willing to contribute to the ethos of the School
- Proven excellent music subject skills, including experience in accompanying soloists, ensembles
- A 'can do' approach
- Ability to establish and maintain good relationships
- Commitment to the school's wider community
- A desire to share a love of music
- Exceptional in efficiency in both communication and administration
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Resilient under pressure
- Able to deal sensitively with people and resolve problems
- Positive, enthusiastic and motivated approach
- Competent in the use of IT
The Company Offers:
- School meals during term times (Free)
- The appointment is for a fixed term is one year
- The first term of the appointment will be probationary and subject to one week's notice in writing on either side
Please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to our Client's careers page.
Candidates with experience of: Musician, Pianist, Music Graduate, Graduate, Gap Year, Trainee, Junior, Education, Teaching Assistant, Learning Support Worker, Assistant Teacher, LSA, LSW, Learning Support Assistant, Teaching Support Assistant, SEN Support, Teaching Assistant, SEN Assistant, Learning Difficulties, SEN Teacher, Support Worker, Learning Assistant may also be considered for this role.