Overview of role:
Our facilities team is a visible and vital part of our community; as a member of the team you will need to be able to relate well to pupils and adults as you provide a comprehensive caretaking and security service. With the physical ability to lift, carry and operate equipment, you will have an awareness of health and safety, general DIY skills and hold a clean UK driving licence.
This is a full time position, all through the year working 7.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday, plus participation in late cover rota and occasional weekend working.
To provide a security and caretaking service to the school
The Facilities Manager and the Senior Caretaker
- This job description indicates the range of duties involved is not intended to be all-inclusive and requires the post-holder to be flexible and show initiative. The post holder may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organisation.
- Carry out security arrangements for the school
- Control traffic on school premises especially during drop off and pick up times
- Control of the HVAC, lighting and electrical systems to ensure a comfortable environment is maintained in the most efficient and economic manner.
- Operate fire and burglar alarm systems, including key holder responsibility and be a nominated fire warden (training will be provided).
- General maintenance, including painting and decorating; repairs to furniture, fixtures and fittings, including minor electrical equipment and plumbing; installation of minor fittings. Regular checks and maintenance of drains and gullies.
- Liaison with on-site contractors, supervision of them when necessary.
- Some cleaning duties.
- Moving furniture and equipment to set up for school events and functions.
- Porterage of parcels and equipment around the school.
- Ensure that the external areas of the school are clean and safe to use.
- Carry out regular Health and Safety and building inspections
- On a rota basis provide cover for evening and weekend events
- To be a first point of contact for staff for maintenance and building issues
- Regular inspection and cleaning of school mini buses
- Driving pupils in school mini buses
- To be pro-active in approach to ensure that the school operates in a safe and efficient manner
- Monitoring the on line helpdesk and using electronic auditing/inspection devices.
Applicants will need to already hold the right to work in the UK and, if short-listed, be able to attend an interview at the school
- Manual handling awareness (training provided)
- General hand safety knowledge
- Clean UK driving licence (Experience driving minibuses advantageous)
- First aid certificate (or willing to be trained)
- Prior experience of working as a caretaker or similar maintenance/ security role
- Decorating experience
- Experience or knowledge of working in a school environment
- Practical DIY skills to undertake maintenance and repairs around the school
- Good oral English skills
- Ability to communicate confidently and professionally with pupils, staff & parents
- Excellent organisational skills
- Flexible approach to work with the ability to re-prioritise as demands vary
- Basic IT skills including email
- A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
- Ability to work 7.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday and participate in the late lock-up rota covering evenings and weekends.
- Physical ability to lift, carry, operate equipment (necessary training will be provided) and be active throughout the day etc.
- High levels of personal and professional integrity
- Personal warmth, good rapport with pupils, colleagues and parents
- Appropriate levels of personal presentation (uniform provided)
Terms and Conditions
Permanent, full time, all through the year
Up to £12 per hour/23,400pa, depending on skills and experience
Hours of work
Normal hours of work are Monday to Friday 0730 to 1630, but the successful candidate will also be required to lock the building as part of a rota at least once a week. This lock up could vary between 1800 to 2300. There will also be occasions where attendance at a weekend is required to cover school events.
This post is accountable to the Facilities Manager and the Senior Caretaker.
As soon as possible
A range of benefits are offered including discounted cinema tickets, retail discounts, staff development, contributory pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, car lease scheme, discounted gym memberships, health and dental plans.
How to apply
Closing date: 9.00am on Monday 3rd June 2019, however applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the school reserves the right to interview and appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
Early applications are therefore advised.
Guildford High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all who work at the School to share this commitment.
Successful applicants will be subject to child protection screening appropriate to the post including an enhanced disclosure through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and checks with previous employers
Apply for Caretaker
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly