West Lavant, Chichester
Lavant House is set within the South Downs National Park, a stone's throw from the Goodwood Estate and on the doorstep of Chichester. Built in the early 1700’s, and later owned by the 3rd Duke of Richmond, Lavant House is a period blend of Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian architecture and until recently, operated as a girl’s boarding school. It is now being operated by a new charity and helping young people (18+) prepare for successful careers in the 21st century.
Our client is a youth-friendly enterprise, committed to developing and training young people as they transition into adulthood and meaningful employment. They will do this by providing an innovative and integrated program based around their needs for:
- Affordable accommodation
- Education and mentoring where needed in areas such as Maths, English and other scientific/engineering subject areas.
- Skills for life courses such as Food Hygiene, Budgeting and first aid.
- Rural skills: animal husbandry, grounds works, gardening
- Healthy and enjoyable sports opportunities: Tennis, Football, Cricket, Swimming, Sailing etc
- Realistic and integrated work experience and apprenticeships
They will also offer more specific training in areas of crafts, craftsmanship and scientific research according to needs over time. They also provide ‘incubator space’ for high-tech start-ups and other businesses who are willing to provide work experience and opportunities for their young people onsite. Their objective is that each young person leaves (after two years living/studying/working with them) confident, experienced and well prepared for the challenges of a happy and successful career in a field of their choosing.
One of the first set of opportunities for the young people, is to work with them on the refurbishment and building works at Lavant House - for which they are naturally paid, but require on the job support, training and supervision. There is a minimum of five years of work ahead for our client, and they welcome this - the work provides excellent ‘hands on’ opportunities for those young people interested in a career in business and construction-based skills and qualifications where desired.
Main purpose and scope of the job
Our client is looking to appoint a Site/Operations Manager, who will report to the Trustees. The successful candidate will be responsible for the provision of a safe, efficient and cost-effective service stream on all areas of service delivery ensuring the highest quality of work is provided in the timescales and the ongoing success of the Charity.
The role will initially heavily focus on managing the repair and refurbishment of the site, together with construction of new buildings. They are a small and friendly team, and over time, the successful applicant will have increasing opportunities to diversify within the organisation if desired.
For an exceptional candidate (who is interested in the mentoring and pastoral care of the young people out of working hours), there may also be a possibility of onsite accommodation.
Duties and key responsibilities:
- Lead and manage the site and ensuring the work is completed safely, on time, within budget and to the required quality by effectively organising and managing the site activities
- Support the charity in building and operating a team to achieve the Charitable objectives by assisting the Trustees in the formulation of contractual strategies and ensuring that such strategies are implemented
- Carry out ‘toolbox talks’ in line with the work areas programme and maintain records
- Monitor reportable accidents and ensure correct paperwork is submitted to appropriate personnel
- Identify the need for Risk Assessments and Method Statements and Safe Systems of work and implement in your area whilst maintaining records
- Manage and implement H&S procedures including pre-plant checklists and recording appropriately
- Understand budgets, valuations and costs whilst recognising contractual requirements
- Control and monitor the use of all resources including subcontractors to maximise efficiency and minimise costs
- Ensure that adequate site records are maintained including but not limited to Site Managers reports, daily diary, weekly labour, plant, materials and goods returned, progress photographs, site inductions, and health and safety records
- Contribute to HR requirements, carry out annual PPRs, identify training needs, monitor operative attendance etc
- Able to demonstrate a good level of financial knowledge in meeting the business and customer objectives
- Ensuring staff you are responsible for understand their roles and responsibilities, and manage them accordingly by providing guidance and training as necessary. Lead weekly team meetings and regular one to ones.
- Aptitude - Must demonstrate a high level of aptitude, problem solving.
- Communication – Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, including key stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication.
- Proactive, ‘can do’ approach.
- Ability to prioritise their workload.
- Good attention to detail and ability to show initiative.
- A technical, logical thought process.
Desirable Key Skills and Qualifications:
- Hold the necessary SMSTS and First Aid at Work accreditations, and capable of implementing and managing Health & Safety procedures
- Holder of a Full UK Driving Licence
- Suitable to take an enhanced DBS check
- Previous Site Management or comparable project management experience is essential - working with a Grade II listed building would be an advantage.
- Experience of estate management
- Confident using the internet to research products, prices and procedures - and good day to day computer literacy and numeracy skills.
- Proven track record in successfully managing a project to budget and on schedule
- Sound leadership skills (control and management of employees) with a good understanding of how to get the best out of both staff and subcontractors
- Commercially aware with excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills and customer focused
- Self-motivated and ambitious
- Knowledge of core trades
Apply for Site Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly