Chettle Shop - Manager
Chettle Shop / Village Stores is looking for a new manager for its little, charming but busy village shop which is the heart of a small village.
Chettle is a thriving community in North Dorset and the shop plays a big role in day-to-day life, however it also attracts lots of walkers, cyclists, horse riders and a mixture of day trippers and workmen who come off the road to fill up on the pies and coffee and end up buying a whole lot more. The shop also has a lot of health foods and eco products.
This is a full-time position that can come with a 2-3 bedroom thatched cottage with a small summer house which could be used as an office or a spare bedroom and comes with a separate toilet. The salary is tailored depending on this. The cottage is adjacent to the shop.
You will be solely in charge of the shop with a small team of staff to manage. You will report to the owner but they won’t be involved in the day-to-day running.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising sales staff and organising training including the induction of new staff
- Organising staff rotas
- Overseeing stock control and ordering
- Dealing with customer and supplier issues
- Interviewing and recruiting new staff
- Keeping up with current regulations eg health and safety, licensing
- Managing the shops security
- Proposing and implementing promotions and specials
- Developing marketing strategies inc regular posting on social media channels
- Working on the shop floor, serving and restocking etc
- Basic accounting, filing and document keeping
Place of Work: Chettle Shop, DT11 8DB
Hours: Full time (the manager may need to be available by telephone for any urgent queries during opening hours)
Contract Type: Permanent
Full/Part Time: Full time which may include some split shifts and weekend work
Remuneration Package: Subject to experience and depending on accommodation arrangements
Holiday Entitlement: Pro rata, based on 28 days per year full-time (20 days plus bank holidays or days in lieu)
Job Start Date: Ideally Monday 1st July 2019. The house will be ready to move in to the weekend before the start date
Ideal Candidate Qualities:
- -Have great personable skills, to relate to all customers, staff and suppliers with care
- Fit and strong, the job is very physical.
- A good team leader, who takes time with all staff to learn about the qualities they can offer and ensure they enjoy working with us
- 100% reliable and responsible
- Motivated, focused and calm under pressure
- To show interest in and care about everyone in our community
- Have an interest in health foods and products with low environmental impact
- Be well organised and have great time management skills
- Have experience working in/ leading teams
- Proficient IT skills and able to work with numbers and spreadsheets
- Flexible to cover any hours when other staff can’t come in
- Current and clean driving license
- History of working in the retail industry
Other Comments & Important Information:
- Appropriate training and a handover from the current shop manager will be provided
- There is no office space in the shop
- We plan to add a small café by 2020
Letters of application and CVs giving details of two referees should be submitted by click apply
Closing date Friday 24th May 2019.
- First rounds of interviews can be held in person or by Skype (should you be relocating from far away) and will be held between Wed 29th May and Tue 4th Jun.
- Second round of interviews will be held in person between Wed 12th & Fri 14th June.
Apply for Shop Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly