Football/ Sports Content Editor
Reach plc is looking to recruit a highly experienced Football/ Sports Content Editor within a newly created role situated in our The Pools team. This role will see the successful candidate play a major role in contributing to the success of The Pools through the highly engaging and effective channel that online editorial presents to generate awareness, engagement and participation.
As our Content Editor you will work directly with key colleagues, to build The Pools editorial content and distribution strategy, to deliver against agreed KPIs in reach, engagement and conversions.
This role is well suited to a candidate who has a strong understanding of The Pools, and has previous experience in sourcing and delivering content which attracts and drives a digital audience.
This position can be based within the following newsrooms depending on the location of the successful candidate: Manchester, Birmingham, London.
REACH & THE POOLS
The joint venture brand was launched in October 2018 and is a major strategic partnership for Reach, delivering against our strategic goal of seeking new opportunities to commercialise our growing digital audience. The Football Pools has a 96 year heritage rooted in British football and is known most for the famous Pools football betting game. Thepools offers our football mad, gambling-savvy audience a range of high quality games and betting opportunities for small stakes players.
Reach plc alone reaches 46m UK adults a month. Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and we have a bigger online monthly audience than all our competitors including Mail Online and News UK. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, and we cover more than 50 of the 92 clubs locally in the Premier League and the Football League - we are the go-to platforms for millions of fans every single day..
- With key colleagues, to build The Pools editorial content and distribution strategy, to deliver against agreed KPIs e. reach, engagement, conversions, in line with the wider plan
- Ensure successful execution of the strategy using all tools at your disposal to create relevant, engaging and timely content as part of the agreed editorial plan, to reach new and valuable audiences, overseeing referral paths and new opportunities to maximise the content's reach
- To manage, direct and develop the Pools Content Producer to deliver against objectives and KPIs in accordance with the strategy
- Plan and commission evergreen and appointment-to-view content, as well as taking opportunities to exploit existing and relevant content
- Achieving maximum reach through optimisation of content for the distribution channels at our disposal, including Reach sites
- Support The Pools and their social team in the execution of their social plan
- Build strong, collaborative and productive relationships with Reach's diverse editorial and social teams, colleagues at The Pools, and key contacts at major 3rd-party businesses (e. social and content distribution) to best fulfill the requirements of role and achieve the agreed plan
- Planning, ideation and communicating with teams how and where content should appear and working closely with stakeholders across SEO and Social in newsrooms.
The Ideal Candidate
- Working on editorial/ commercial collaborations providing effective media solutions previously would be beneficial.
- A good knowledge of football (and sport in general) with experience of writing football content
- Experience of working with paid social channels and campaigns
- Working with performance based KPIs e. traffic, engagement, conversion rates
- Excellent communication skills and a strong team player
- Previous people/ team management experience, and excellent leaderships skills
- Strong on relationships, ability to influence critical and remote stakeholders, with authority, gravitas and credibility to successfully achieve objectives
- Calm, creative, strategic thinker, full of ideas and energy
- Experience of newsroom working with a strong news sense, and an understanding of what makes a great sports story
- An excellent grasp of audience data and experience of Google Analytics and other audience analytics packages
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.