Trainee Breaking News Reporter
7 days left
- Full Time
In order to thrive in this role you will need excellent written and verbal communication skills and be team-oriented with strong interpersonal skills.
You will have experience working for a recognised media masthead and have formal journalism qualifications from a university or college.
If you enjoy the challenge of being part of a growing media business and are looking for an opportunity to excel in a lively, creative and dynamic team environment then apply online today.
Reach Scotland publishes Scotland's Newspaper of the Year the Daily Record and its website dailyrecord as well as the Sunday Mail, Scottish Daily Express, Scottish Star and their sister Sunday titles.
We also publish GlasgowLive, EdinburghLive, FootballScotland, Insider and Business Insider magazine.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
We average 21 million mobile visitors - that's 60% of the entire mobile market. Each month we attract over 32 million unique visitors. That's more than our competitors. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
- To be an important part of our live news team, writing, running, publishing and sharing our live breaking news over a rota based on early and late shifts across seven days.
- To be able to source and write your own stories, run standalone live blogs on breaking news events, write break-out stories and furnish them with digital assets such as videos and galleries.
- To be a public face and trusted authority on social media for breaking news.
- Curate, copy taste, write and directly publish authoritative and accurate breaking news content (including words, pictures and video), working an early or late shift on a rotating basis and also participating in a weekend rota.
- Generate your own exclusive news content and ideas.
- Manage and run dedicated live coverage of news events as and when required.
- Source related content such as video, audio, pictures, comments and graphics to accompany breaking news stories and for use in live blogs.
- A formal Journalism qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
- Thorough knowledge of Scottish media law.
- Proven experience writing high-quality breaking news content for digital platforms.
- Excellent communicator on social media and comfortable using social media publishing tools.
- Strong copy-tasting skills and a sharp news sense.
- Good headline writing skills.
- Experience contributing to, running or coordinating live coverage of news or events.
- Ability to edit video and audio.
- Good digital skills including experience using a web content management system and understanding of SEO.
- Self-motivated and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation.
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Flexible approach to shifts.
- Up-to-date legal and IPSO Code knowledge.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
What you need to know
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at