Plasma Physicist / Research Scientist - PHD
3 days left
- Full Time
Job Title: Plasma Physicist
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire, UK
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small spherical tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then they've unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world's energy production - it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions).
Their current aim is to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies - spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company's innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
Purpose of the Role:
The Company intend to accelerate the commercialisation of fusion by developing power plants based on high field spherical tokamaks. To achieve this goal, they are growing their physics team to support experiments on their current device, ST40 - the world's first high field spherical tokamak, and contribute to the design of their next step device, ST-F1 - a large scale spherical tokamak with magnets made from high temperature superconductors that will demonstrate the viability of fusion power. They are looking for experienced plasma physicists (PhD level and above) who are motivated by the opportunity to accelerate the development of fusion power. Applicants with knowledge and experience working in a broad range of areas are welcome to apply, including: MHD equilibrium and stability, confinement and transport, tokamak operations, divertor and edge physics, energetic particles, heating and current drive, and power plant studies.
To focus on the delivery of hardware and rest results, not papers and motivated to deliver the Company's mission; the candidate will need to have experience in working in a research environment with the ability to work efficiently using your own initiative; the candidate will be highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale with the ability to effectively communicate in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists as well as the ability to communicate results to both technical and non-technical colleagues; a willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies, be creative and innovative; the candidate will be encouraged to develop new and existing collaborations and have an organised approach to tackling complex problems.
- PhD in plasma physics or closely related equivalent experience
- Experience working in a research environment or developing novel technologies
- Ability to work efficiently on own initiative
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies
- Ability to effectively communicate results to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Organised approach to tackling complex problems
- Familiarity with tokamak/plasma modelling codes
- Experience of programming languages such as MatLab/Python/Unix/C++
- Experimental data analysis experience
- Publication history
- Willingness to develop new and existing collaborations
- 25 Days Holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years' service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months' service
Candidates with experience of: Graduate, Nuclear Physicist, PHD Graduate, Nuclear Scientist, Plasma Scientist may also be considered for the role.
Apply for Plasma Physicist / Research Scientist - PHD
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly