Junior New Product Design Engineer
- Develop concept design for new products based on Sales/Marketing requests.
- Carry out design evaluation & develop testing regimes to highlight best solution.
- Produce detail design drawings including specifications.
- Produce Design/Application & Maintenance manuals.
- Support new product introduction into the factory.
- Provide engineering support for product maintenance, updates and project specials
KEY RESULT AREA
Design & Development
- Concept generation: produce concepts that meet the design brief by exploring a range of solutions for the problem.
- Design Evaluation: select the optimum solution by considering structural calculations, material choice, manufacturing method, manufacturing cost, life cost, serviceability etc.
- Design verification: determine suitable test programmes to verify the product to ensure it is robust enough for its application in co-ordination with the Test and Quality Engineer.
- Produce a comprehensive drawing pack to accurately document all parts and assemblies required for the product including items lists.
- Produce technical specifications to define the requirement for each component including material choice, finish, relevant standards, environmental issues etc.
- Liaise with manufacturing engineers to ensure that all CNC part programmes are complete and process are clear.
- Support Manufacturing Manager and team leaders to ensure production first offs are successful and prove both the design and production processes.
- Ensure that all procurement data is complete and correct in liaison with the Procurement Manager.
- Conduct production first off testing, in coordination with laboratory staff, to ensure that these units meet the design criteria and performance specification.
- Co-ordinate all aspects of the product introduction including launch to sales, project management, installation teams and service engineers.
Technical support/Special Projects
- Provide technical advice on product application to the sales and service teams.
- Develop special variants to meet specific client project requirements whilst ensuring the performance of the product is not compromised.
- Support the Engineering Manager to evaluate the most cost effective method of manufacture for special projects.
- Action Special Price Enquiries sent from the selling divisions to provide cost estimates for special products.
Quality & Procedures
- Work within all companies procedures, and guidance to comply with working polices and processes.
- Ensure all work is logically and methodically filed.
- Ensure that all drawings, specifications and product data are up to date to support our ISO 9001 / 45001 registration.
- Consider the environmental impact of the product during its life in support of ISO 14001.
- Support the Engineering and Production managers with our BSI and VDS audits.
- It is the duty of all employees to act within the legal responsibilities imposed upon them and the company QHSE Policy.
- All employees are to be familiar with the integrated management system processes and procedures of the Company.
- Experienced in 3D solid modelling / design packages as part of product development process.
- AutoCAD Inventor 2014 Creation of product families.
- 3 years minimum in product development / industrial design role.
- Track record of product development for in the construction / building Services / HVAC industry.
- New Product Introduction within a manufacturing organisation.
- Product testing, Airflow dynamics & Noise Teting.
- Lateral thinker and problem solver able to work with minimum supervision.
- Design / fabrication of light gauge ferrous and non-ferrous components.
- Structured, Organised and methodical in your approach to planning and executing work.
- Design of extruded aluminium products, seals, limits and fits.
- Excellent communicator, both formal and informal, across multi-disciplinary teams at all levels both internally and externally.
- Technical report writing, Instruction manuals, & O&M manuals.
- Use of Excel as part of the design / evaluation process.
- BSc / BEng in Product Development / Industrial Design
- MSc in Product Development
- Organised with an eye for detail and high standards.
- Ability to prioritise own workload, work without supervision and progress several tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal, written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, achieve deadlines, deliver results and get the job done.
- Drive and a strong will to win.
- Proactive, self-motivated and innovative.