Trainee Reporter - London
1 day left
- Full Time
MyLondon, an exciting new website covering what we think is the best city in the world, is looking to recruit a trainee reporter.
The website aims to keep Londoners informed with all the latest breaking news from across the city.
But it also aims to entertain and to reflect the lives that Londoners are living, the commutes they are taking, the food they're eating.
MyLondon is designed for those of us who live in London, who love London, who know what's wrong with the capital but woe betide anyone else criticising the place!
The website has merged the successful and popular Croydon Advertiser and GetWestLondon websites, drawing on our knowledge and experience of South and West London.
It is now also reporting on the north and east of the city with a mixture of breaking news and features that showcase what a brilliantly diverse place London is.
We are looking for an ambitious and motivated reporter full of story and feature ideas who is determined to make a name for themselves in the industry.
You will need to be highly skilled at sourcing stories, presenting them in a range of formats for a digital audience and skillfully sharing them on social media to the widest possible audience.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
In order to succeed in this role you will:
- Be able to demonstrate experience of creating compelling content that drives outstanding digital engagement and enables us to grow our audiences online
- Have knowledge of social media and searching tools (i. Tweetdeck, Geofeedia etc) in addition to traditional journalistic methods for digging out stories
- Have video and live blogging skills, knowledge of best practice for live reporting and a good understanding of what makes a live blog stand out
- Demonstrate a variety of ways to tell stories and a portfolio that contains different methods of digital storytelling
- Take responsibility for themes of content, such as geographic areas, campaigns or other areas of interest, as directed by the content desk
- Possess excellent communication skills and be adept at imparting information clearly and concisely
- Have the ability to work with minimal supervision when required
The Ideal Candidate
- We are looking for candidates who are passionate about producing creative and inspiring content to engage our vast and knowledgeable digital audience.
- We want you to bring fresh and creative ideas to the table and be passionate and enthusiastic in your approach.
- Suitable candidates will acknowledge that this is not a 9-5 role and will be able and willing to work flexibly over evenings/weekends as and when required.
- Ideally, you will hold an NCTJ journalism pre-entry qualification (or equivalent) however this is not essential.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc has a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase scheme, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.