Story Editor - Newcastle/Teesside
Reach plc is looking for a Story Editor to join the team in the North East on a six month basis, based in either Newcastle or Teesside. The successful candidate will develop, design and sub print content packages for all regional print titles from available feeds of digitally-produced content.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
- Develop allocated stories and packages for all regional print titles as directed
- Design and sub articles and pages as directed
- Produce completed pages accurately and consistently to agreed workflow and schedule
- Ensure all stories/packages meet print titles' editorial, ethical, legal and
- IPSO standards and brand values, and are delivered to deadline
- Ensure effective communication with all relevant people/departments
- Maintain a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
- Undertake company/editorial projects and any other duties from time to time as reasonably requested by management
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Trinity Mirror's editorial and company policies
The Ideal Candidate
- A Reach plc or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience in writing or production)
- At least two years of experience in writing and/or production
- Proven news editing/headline writing and/or production skills
- Ability to design/manipulate print templates
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.