General Manager - Smart Mobility Living Lab - Greenwich
About the Role CIQHP
The General Manager position is accountable for operational trading and strategic growth of the Smart Mobility Living Lab (SMLL). The SMLL is an GBP18m project to build a facility that will include over 20 km of instrumented roads, next generation communications equipment, data centres, vehicle workshops and state of the art control centres.
The SMLL facility is operated by a newly established company SMLL Ltd, a strategic partnership between TRL and DG Cities. SMLL Ltd will generate income from three primary sources:
- Shared. A membership model has been developed where organisations looking to grow their new mobility business pay to join a shared research programme (SRP). The SRP seeks to address the members challenges through real world trials and supporting research making use of the SMLL facility. Current members include: BP, Aviva, Hastings Direct and Honda.
- Collaborative. Grant income from organisations such as Innovate UK that will support further investment in the facility.
- Private. Individual or groups of organisations that want to test their mobility solutions in London.
The role is based in London, primarily in Greenwich, though the successful candidate will need to develop and maintain a strong connection with the core TRL business in Wokingham. SMLL will also have facilities and activities at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London.
The scope for the role includes the following functions within the Business:
- Strategic planning, including market analysis and segmentation
- P&L and cash management
- Market engagement & relationship building
- Sales management & deal closing
- Customer service management and contract/project delivery
- Client billing, credit control, purchasing & cash management
- People leadership, including resourcing, employee engagement and performance& succession planning
- Corporate governance, risk management, HSE & business continuity.
- Align to wider TRL to enable both SMLL and Company success, sharing best practice and promoting a collaborative one-Company approach
While TRL has secured the primary investment to build the facility, and has secured initial clients for the Shared Research Programme, the venture is still at a very early stage. The successful candidate will need to be highly entrepreneurial.
Skills & Experience
- Significant project management experience, ideally gained in a research/consultancy or environment, with a track record of successfully delivering high value complex projects
- Well-developed team leadership skills, delivering results through influencing and negotiation
- Proven ability to lead, challenge and develop staff and working practices to improve performance
- Experience in developing and successfully marketing new business propositions and maintaining client relationships in both the public and the private sector
- Experience of P&L management
- Knowledge of the new mobility sector with a focus on urban transportation
- Technology road mapping