Part-Time Commis Chef / Kitchen Assistant
Job Title: Kitchen Assistant
Location: West Sussex
Salary: £15,031 - £15,951 per annum pro-rata
Job type: Part Time, Term Time Only (One year fixed term contract)
Closing Date: noon Friday 1st March 2019
The School is a delightful independent standalone prep school of 430 boys and girls aged 2 ½ to 13 set in 260 acres of beautiful Sussex countryside. The tremendous grounds include a Forest School and a School Farm. The school has a proud record of feeding many of the top day and boarding schools in the South East, with a large proportion of leaving students achieving scholarships and awards.
They are now seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and professional Kitchen Porter to help keeping the kitchen clean, tidy safe and hygienic.
- To assist in the preparation and cooking of menu items as directed by the Head of Catering/Chefs
- To assist with stock taking when required
- To assist in ensuring the smooth and efficient running of the kitchen
- To assist with School events when necessary, including out-of-hours if requested
- To ensure that customers are given a prompt and efficient service and expectations are consistently met
- To be customer focused at all times; approachable and quick to fulfill customer needs
- To adhere to the School's Food Hygiene, Health and Safety and Environmental policies
- To ensure that food storage areas are maintained in accordance with the School's Food Hygiene, Healthy and Safety and Environmental policies and procedures
- To assist with the kitchen termly deep cleans
The ideal candidate will have/ be:
- GCSE level education or above
- Working knowledge of fresh food production
- Working knowledge of Health and Safety
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to plan ahead
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Smart, clean appearance; high standard of personal hygiene
- Approachable, friendly and cheerful
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Must be suitable to work with/around children
- Keen to continue self-development
- Some experience within the catering industry or a kitchen environment is highly desirable
- Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate
- Minimum 2 years' training in catering/hospitality
- Dietary awareness
Monday to Thursday 9am to 2pm (20 hrs per week)
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all of their staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced disclosure via the DBS and to register with the update service.
Please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to our Client's careers page.
NOTE: You will only be considered for this role if the application form is completed.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of Restaurant Chef Assistant, Catering Assistant, Food Catering, Chef Assistant, Food Preparation, Cook Assistant, Kitchen Assistant, Food Hygiene, Food Health and Safety Assistant may also be considered for this role.