Local Democracy Reporter - London
As part of a UK-wide ground-breaking initiative between the BBC and regional publishers, we are seeking to recruit a Local Democracy/ Politics Reporter based here in our London office.
You will be an enthusiastic and capable journalist with experience of working to tight deadlines alongside a shorthand proficiency of 100wpm. This essential criteria will go hand in hand with your ability to provide outstanding content in text, audio and video format. You will be able to demonstrate a deep understanding of local government and a track record of delivering great ideas for content and building contacts
About the scheme:
This scheme is designed to increase coverage and scrutiny of councils across the UK. Funded by the BBC and run by media publishers, the reporters will provide in-depth coverage of our local authorities which will feature on websites, newspapers and broadcasts across their region.
- Delivering strong content on a daily basis, primarily focusing on text but also providing images, audio and video as and when required
- Creating engaging content which drives audience through SEO and social media awareness
- Ensuring all content is politically-neutral and balanced, providing a fair reflection of views
- Ensuring agendas for councils and public bodies are scrutinised, identifying issues and stories which need to be brought to the public's attention
- Delivering live content, providing two-way interviews for broadcast media
Providing monthly report on key issues and themes from public authorities for stakeholder media organisations
- Ensuring that all matters, decisions and issues relating to the public authorities covered in the Local Democracy Reporter Scheme Editorial Brief are covered in a timely, impartial and audience-friendly way
The Ideal Candidate
A solid working knowledge of social media and the way it can be used to drive audience and engagement is important too. We are ideally seeking candidates qualified to senior standard or equivalent with two years experience but applications from trainees approaching senior qualifications will be considered.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase scheme, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at