Senior Mechanical Engineer / Design Engineer
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer - Alpha Containment
Location: Risley, Warrington
Salary: £32,218 - £42,952
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Closing Date: 17th February, 2019
The Company is a global centre for nuclear engineering management. They pioneered the harnessing of nuclear power to generate electricity for the country. Now the world is watching as they set international standards in high-hazard reduction. In short, they are at the forefront of the industry.
Their work is complex and they will be facing as-yet-unanswered questions and finding definitive and sector-defining answers to complex technical problems. Transforming the company's site, and leaving a safe, secure, environmentally sound space for future generations will be a triumph of ingenuity and engineering.
They are currently looking to recruit Senior Mechanical Engineers to support the Alpha containment discipline based in their offices in Warrington.
The roles are to support the provision of the Alpha Containment Capability which inputs into Major Projects and the wider business to maintain the necessary standards for engineering delivery and asset performance within the specialism. Following a period of upskilling, the successful candidates will provide advice and guidance across a range of Alpha Containment Systems within the company.
The successful candidates will also deliver Alpha Containment specific engineering tasks to the wider business.
The role requires mechanical engineers with an ability and ambition to learn new engineering skills within the Alpha Containment discipline. The role holders will need to demonstrate knowledge and experience of designing complex engineering systems, the application of relevant legislation and basic mechanical engineering principles.
- Track record of delivering design and support for major project and asset care tasks/projects
- Understanding of the design process, related practices and experience of all stages of design (concept, front end through to detail designs for manufacture)
- Knowledge and experience of manufacturing processes
- Evidence of having working knowledge and experience of relevant legislation
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Appropriate qualifications in the relevant discipline e. MEng, BEng, BSC, HND, HNC
- Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartered status, to be completed within 18 months of appointment
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving and ability to apply 'Engineering Judgement' where appropriate
- Knowledge and experience of design assurance and governance processes
- Ability to apply a questioning attitude based on knowledge of plant and equipment failure modes, fabrication details and engineering requirements
- Management of contracts and interaction with supply chain
- Highly motivated and resilient
- Knowledge of Alpha Containment design principles
- Familiar with Alpha Containment design standards and good practice
- Knowledge of shielding, criticality and safety case considerations associated with the safe operation of Alpha Containment facilities
- Knowledge of ergonomics and common glove box operational skills
- Knowledge of Special Nuclear Material storage containment systems and operational practices
- Experience of effective and proactive stakeholder engagement
There are roles available at a number of grades, your experience will be considered against the essential and desirable skills for the role and should you be successful at the shortlisting stage you will be informed of the appropriately graded role you are being interviewed against.
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with experience of: Maintenance Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Maintenance, Design Engineer, Nuclear Radiation Protection Engineer, Nuclear Engineer, Nuclear Storage Engineer, Engineering Installations, Radiation Shielding, Radiation Physical Barriers Technician, Mechanical Engineer, Multi-skilled Engineer, Radiation Shielding Team Leader, Instrumentation Engineer, Radiation Protection Supervisor, Technical Engineer, Engineer may also be considered for this role.