Electrical Controls Engineer
Electrical Controls Engineer
Granta Park, Cambridge
TWI is a world expert in engineering, materials and joining technologies. We provide industry with advice and know-how in design, fabrication, failure analysis and prevention.
TWI has a diverse range of responsibilities that support the core business to ensure a suitable working environment for employees and their activities. We are looking for an Electrical Controls Engineer to join our team in Great Abington, Cambridge. You will be required to undertake a variety of control and servicing tasks, primarily at the main site with some UK travel as required.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Designing, building and installing Control and Interlock Safety Circuits to enable safe operation of laboratory and other equipment (typical installations are in working cells with equipment for lasers, x-ray and surface spraying as well as manufacturing and other machinery/equipment).
- Supporting project work for internal clients. (Input into proposals, costings, design and build.)
- Understanding relevant information from drawings and documents supplied with equipment, and liaising with manufacturers/suppliers as required.
- Working as part a wider team to aid in the build prototype equipment.
- Fault finding and repairing, carrying out modification and maintaining electrical/electronic equipment across sites.
- Acting as part of a team to deliver activities to support operational objectives.
- Ability to make decisions within parameters set by management/customers, using job/specialist experience and escalating issues when required.
- Mentoring, guidance and support to NSIRC postgraduate industrial research projects
- To oversee and deliver technician support, advise and guide NSIRC PhD students on laboratory equipment
The ideal candidate will have the below essential skills:
- A recognised qualification for electronic/electrical engineering (i.e. BTEC, HNC, City and Guilds).
- Good communication skills.
- A methodical and organised approach to work.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of Health and Safety awareness with a procedural/systematic proficiency that may involve competence in the use of specialised equipment.
The ideal candidate will have the below desirable skills:
- Competency to work on 415V, 3 phase circuitry as well as low voltage, and qualified for electrical installation work.
- Experience in the design, build, manufacture and maintenance of PLC/Relay controlled panels.
- Ability to work to deadlines using own initiative.
- Proficiency in reading electrical drawings /technical manuals and diagnosing faults.
- Experience in using Lab View/PLC programming advantageous but not essential.
- Ability to produce electrical schematic drawings with software and or hand drawn.
Candidates are advised that, as a minimum, they will be subject to the HMG Baseline Personnel Security Standard pre-employment screening process and also, possibly, to National Security Vetting during on-going employment.
Closing Date: Monday 18th February 2019
Reference number: 91/18
Job Profile: Technician / Senior Technician
Hours: 36 hours p/wk.
To apply to the role, please visit our website by clicking apply.