Print Editor - Bristol Post
2 days left
- Full Time
We are looking for Print Editor to head up the print production and manage the print content for the Bristol Post.
The successful candidate will oversee the development and delivery of print content, while playing a key managerial role in creating and delivering editorial strategy
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
- Oversee and deliver first class content and design for the Bristol Post to deadline in keeping with print production schedule after liaison with digital publishing colleagues
- Ensure the Post meets editorial, ethical, legal and IPSO standards and brand values - and ensure production staff are kept fully up to speed on key issues
- Deputise for and represent the editor-in-chief on print issues
- Lead and develop the print team to achieve objectives
- Manage print flatplans and advertising departments
- Oversee rotas/appraisals
- Exploit and support commercial opportunities in print
- Ensure that each edition and supplement has content which meets editorial strategy
- Ensure an effective forward-planning operation is maintained in conjunction with digital publishing colleagues
- Develop the team by effective use of 121s, mentoring, on-the-job coaching and training
- Deliver and play a key managerial role in developing editorial strategy
- Manage or undertake company/editorial projects and any other duties from time to time as reasonably requested by management
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Reach's editorial and company policies, and ensuring these standards are upheld across the newsroom
- Possess a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO
- Ensure content is produced with the correct metadata at all times
The Ideal Candidate
The Print Editor would ideally be a highly-experienced and talented sub/manager with strategic experience and a proven ability to lead, direct and inspire teams to deliver first-class print products.
- A Reach plc or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience) as well as at least two years' editorial management experience
- Strong team-building skills and the ability to inspire and lead people through times of change
- Extensive legal knowledge
- First class understanding of digital requirements
- First class news editing/headline writing and/or production skills
- A strong knowledge of effective newspaper design
- Proven experience of making effective contribution at, and/or, leading daily conferences
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Creativity and flair
- Able to work under pressure and to deliver to deadlines
- Strong readership/marketing knowledge
- Detailed understanding of editorial strategy
- Excellent forward planning skills
- Excellent copytasting skills including ability to prioritise and react to breaking news
- Ability to react quickly and calmly to daily changes of circumstance
A full driving licence is essential.
In addition to a competitive salary, 25 days annual leave, and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application. Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application deadline/closing date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.