Head of Legal Services
Head of Legal Services
We are Watford Borough Council, a Local Authority dedicated to making Watford a great place to work and live.
We’re now looking for a Head of Legal Services to take the reins of our Legal Team as the present incumbent is moving back to private practice.
- Salary of £51,365 - £55,362 inclusive of fringe allowance (potential to progress to £62,057 with experience)
- 28 days’ holiday rising with service, in addition to Bank Holidays
- Local government pension scheme
- Fantastic discounts including reduced gym membership and retail savings across various well-known brands
- Staff and their families have access to free, confidential advice and counselling staff 24/7
- Flexible working options
- An interest free loan, so you can buy a season ticket for the bus, train, or tube, or a bike
This is a superb opportunity for a qualified solicitor with a current practising certificate or barrister with management experience to expand their horizons and advance their public sector skill set with our progressive council.
You’ll discover that we are forward-thinking, open to new ideas and always ready to act to enhance Watford. We’re investing in Watford and creating new opportunities right across our borough. You’ll have the chance to work at the heart of this action, maintain our course and fulfil the promises we have made to our constituents.
This is a vital role to our organisation and is the perfect platform in which to gain experience in the public sector, enhance your portfolio and make a real difference to your career ambitions.
As the Head of Legal Services, you’ll oversee the day-to-day operations of our in-house Legal Team.
Tasked with providing high quality legal advice to all areas of the council, the team consists of Solicitors and three Law Advisors.
Ensuring the provision of appropriate legal advice and support for all aspects of the council, you will also act as the Company Secretary for Watford Commercial Services Ltd, our wholly owned company. You will provide legal advice to the company as well as the council.
Additionally, you will take responsibility for investigating complaints against councillors and other council stakeholders and partners, acting as the Deputy Monitoring Officer. As such, an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of Councillors and how a local authority operates will be key.
To be considered as the Head of Legal Services, you will need:
- To be a qualified solicitor in England and Wales holding a current practising certificate or a qualified barrister
- Experience of managing a small team of legal professionals
- Detailed knowledge across a wide range of legal areas including contracts and procurement, local authority law, company law, employment and housing
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills to be able to explain complex and sensitive information to a wide ranging audience in a manner they can understand and make informed decisions with
Some experience of working in or with public sector/local authority would be beneficial to your application.
Other organisations may call this role Head of Legal Services, Head of Law, Senior Associate, Associate, Solicitor, Barrister, Lawyer, Senior Counsel, Legal Counsel, or Senior Legal Counsel.
Webrecruit and Watford Borough Council are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you are ready for your next big career challenge as our Head of Legal Services, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.