This is an exciting opportunity within this busy and commercially focused legal team for a lawyer to provide key legal support to A. S. Watson and its three business units in the UK - Superdrug, The Perfume Shop and Savers. You will focus on commercial contracts, marketing, privacy and regulatory matters. You will act as a trusted legal adviser to colleagues throughout the business units at various levels of seniority. You will also be a key player within the Legal Team and be responsible for contributing towards the supervision of the Assistant Legal Counsel and trainee in the team.
Based at Superdrug's new head office in central Croydon and reporting directly to the Head of Legal, you will provide technically accurate and pragmatic legal advice to A. S. Watson and its three business units in the UK - Superdrug, The Perfume Shop and Savers.
Working in partnership with your colleagues across the business you will:
• handle a wide range of commercial contracts including IT contracts, logistics and supply chain agreements, FM contracts, healthcare contracts and digital support contracts. At times you may be required to negotiate contracts awarded as a part of a wider European tender with our sister companies in the EU and this will then involve liaising with relevant stakeholders not only in the UK but across Europe. You will manage the process from initial instruction through to signature. At the end of the process, you will be responsible for managing the formal contract approval process with both the UK management team and Group Legal in Hong Kong;
• work closely with our Procurement team to help ensure Group Procurement policy is adhered to and provide ad-hoc advice on tender and contractual process. You will become a valued partner to the Procurement team;
• advise on day-to-day privacy matters from strategy and approach of proposed contracts, through to contract negotiation and then implementation. You may be required to assist on any investigations and incidents which occur from time to time. You will work closely with our GDPR champions across the business. You will develop a good working relationship with our Group Privacy and Information Security Team;
• work on a variety of Regulatory matters which may arise from time to time. You will develop a relationship with our Primary Authority and work with the business in reviewing and updating relevant compliance programmes;
• work across the business and liaise with our ultimate parent company CK Hutchison Holdings on our Modern Slavery programme;
• advise the wider marketing teams on internal and external advertising, as well as promotions approval. In the event of receiving any ASA complaints, you will work with the marketing and the commercial teams to draft and submit appropriate responses;
• assist the Superdrug own brand team on new product innovation which will include conflict and TM checks;
• you may be required to assist on high profile litigation claims;
• manage relations with external lawyers and keep tight control of performance and budgets;
• be flexible and, if required, carry out other areas of work which are not listed in this job description, given the unpredictability of the volume of legal issues and variety of legal issues which need to be dealt with by the legal team.
You will assist in the delivery of the strategic aims of the department. You will help develop and deliver training modules for the business on key legal issues, assist on induction programmes for new starters in the business, and work on the legal team's knowledge database. You will assist in producing monthly legal reports to the leadership teams of Superdrug, The Perfume Shop and Savers, as well as status update reports to Group Legal in Hong Kong. You will also assist the Head of Legal in supervising junior members of the team.
Given the key strategic importance of this role there are a significant number of stakeholders and these include:
• Group Procurement
• Group Privacy and Information Security
• Marketing - both internal and external
• Security and Audit
• Property and Facilities
• Supply Chain
• the wider A. S. Watson group in both Europe and Hong Kong
• Senior internal stakeholders in the UK and Group Legal in Hong Kong.
Key Health and Safety Responsibilities
Your duties as an employee are to:
• take reasonable care of the health and safety of yourself and of others who may be affected by what you do or do not do at work;
• cooperate with the employer on health and safety matters;
• not misuse any equipment that is provided for safety purposes (e.g. fire extinguishers or safety goggles);
• follow instructions from the employer on health and safety matters and attend relevant health and safety training;
• report hazards and defects observed in the workplace; and
• report any accident, injury or near miss in the workplace.
It is essential that you have passion and energy for both the retail sector and technology/ privacy/ commercial law. You must be a fun and friendly person, who is down to earth, approachable and able to work well in a team both within Legal and the wider business. You must be confident in making difficult decisions and willing to get off the fence in advising the business on an appropriate way forward. Your approach must therefore be pragmatic- you must be able to listen to the business and its objectives and weigh the commercial gains versus the legal risks in any given situation. Given the fast paced nature of both the business and the area of law in which you are a specialist, you must be committed to keeping up-to-date in the developments in retail, as well as technology/ privacy/ commercial law. Other criteria you must meet are set out below:
• English qualified lawyer of at least 5 PQE.
• Trained and qualified in a Commercial and/or TMT team in private practice at a top commercial law firm, ideally with some in-house experience.
• Extensive commercial contracts experience.
• Solid privacy/ GDPR experience.
• Ideally IP, marketing and advertising law experience.
• A desire to supervise our junior lawyers.