What's On Writer (Mat Cover)
Leeds Live is seeking to recruit a What's On Writer who will be responsible for covering and building audience around Leed's vibrant entertainment scene.
You will have a flare for writing and a nose for finding a good story. We are looking for someone who excels when it comes to digital, and has experience with video, live blogging and social media.
Reporting to the Publisher of Leeds Live, you will be responsible for creating and producing brilliant content focusing on the exciting things people can do in and around the city area of Leeds and the wider West Yorkshire region.
You will help achieve audience goals and boost our brands' social reach by making things that our audiences love to share.
This role is for a one-year fixed term contract.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
- Source, create and publish informative, accurate, original, shareable and engaging What's On content about: restaurants, bars, eating, drinking, days out, shopping, gigs, concerts, comedy, family fun and everything else
- Generate and publish SEO-focused content to drive search traffic
- Use search engine analytics to identify when to create content around specific keywords
- Identify, source and make What's On-related video content and still images for publication on web and social sites
- Build What's On community on social platforms
- Contribute to coverage of all aspects of What's On, delivering exclusive content and developing relationships with key figures
- Listen to and engage in online conversations with the audience on social and search and use topics to inform content creation decisions
- Be an absolute natural on social media, developing your personal brand to become a trusted expert and public face across external media
- Use analytics to inform What's On-themed content creation decisions
- Use digital storytelling tools including video, live blogs, social tools, data and anything else needed to tell your digital stories in the most engaging way possible
- Work flexible hours to cover significant events in evenings and at weekends, live blogging and creating Facebook Live videos.
The Ideal Candidate
- A journalist qualification or at least two years relevant experience - preferrably NCTJ accredited. Exceptional trainees with proven experience producing relevant content will be considered.
- Excellent writing skills and proven experience writing high-quality content in subject area
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Up-to-date legal knowledge and understanding of ISPO rules
- Demonstrable experience of delivering great ideas for content
- Good digital skills including experience using a web content management system and shooting/editing video
- Solid understanding of SEO, search, social, digital analytics and digital audience behaviour
- Solid understanding of social media platforms and comfortable using social publishing tools
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Self-motivated and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.