Plasma Diagnostician / Spectroscopy Technician
Job Title: Plasma Diagnostician
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Salary Range: £35,000 - £55,000 per annum, depending on experience
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent (37 hours per week)
Closing Date: 4th January 2019
The Company has unlocked a potential new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology could revolutionise the world's energy production - it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e. long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions). They aim to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies - spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company's innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click, Reuters internet news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team.
Management of the design, Research & Development (R&D) and procurement activities of spectroscopy diagnostics and experimental data analysis. To assist in the design and maintenance of other plasma diagnostic systems. Design, operation and exploitation of spectroscopy instrumentation operating in a wide range of wavelengths (near-IR, visible, UV, VUV, X-ray)
The job holder will assure that the spectroscopy design is completed to meet the functional, safety and quality requirements as specified by the project;
- Take responsibility for R&D, specification, procurement, installation, commissioning and maintenance of assigned diagnostic systems;
- Manages the contracts and resources allocated to spectroscopic diagnostics;
- Assists in the design and interfaces to Data Acquisition and other systems;
- Works in close collaboration with the Design Office through the design phase, leading jointly to procurement and installation;
- May be requested to be part of any of the project team dealing with the above activities and perform other duties upon management request;
- Interacts regularly with ROs of other diagnostic systems;
- Acts as the primary point of contact for plasma spectroscopy;
- Takes responsibility for regular calibration and updates of the calibration data for other Systems such as Data Acquisition and Plasma Control Systems.
- Performs analysis of the experimental data delivered by the above diagnostics.
Measures of effectiveness
Take full ownership of relevant work packages ensuring all technical criteria are satisfied and that work can be carried out safely, on schedule and cost;
- Follows the procurement of the spectroscopy diagnostics to ensure that the technical scope is satisfied, that the required documentation is produced and that all the deliverables are provided on time;
- Ensures that the diagnostics perform accordingly to the Project requirements;
- Manages efficiently the technical interfaces between spectroscopy diagnostics and other Systems, such as Data Acquisition and Plasma Control Systems.
- At least Master's Degree or equivalent. PhD degree is desirable in Physics
- Knowledge of spectroscopy diagnostics is required;
- Knowledge of basic plasma diagnostics is an advantage;
- Experience in design and development in experimental physics;
- Experience in maintenance and calibration of spectroscopy instrumentation;
- Experience in analysis of plasma diagnostics data;
- Experience in electronic design is considered as advantage;
- Experience in high power experimental systems is considered as advantage;
- Experience in the fusion related technologies, such as Ultra High Vacuum (UHV) would be desirable.
Communication and IT Skills
- Good communications skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work in a team and to promote team spirit
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- MS Office standard (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Programming in MatLab, LabView, C++ or similar
- 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme: Company contribution of 5% of salary after 3 months' service
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years' service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months' service
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Spectroscopy Technician, Plasma Diagnostician, Plasma Monitoring Technician, Physics Graduate, Nuclear Physicist, Spectroscopy Engineer, Plasma Monitoring Engineer, Spectroscopy Analyst may also be considered for this role.