Head of Business (Level 3)
Division/Dept. De Montfort University International College (DMUIC)
Working hours Full Time, Permanent, Mondays – Fridays 08:30 - 17:30
Start date 3rd January 2019
Annual leave 5 weeks per annum (Plus Public Holidays)
Reports to Head of Business
Salary £32 – 34,000 per annum
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and motivated teacher and manager to join Business and Law Department. This role is ideally suited to a teacher, with some leadership experience, looking for a first management role, or a teacher looking to return to management. The post holder will have overall responsibility for all aspects of academic quality, teaching delivery, resources, student experience and academic leadership for all Level 3 Business & Law modules & programmes delivered by OIEG at De Montfort University.
Based at the heart of De Montfort University’s campus, DMUIC offers a wide range of courses to international students, all of which, upon successful completion, allow progression to a variety of university Degrees, both Undergraduate and Postgraduate, at De Montfort University. Our students come from over 50 different countries providing an incredibly diverse community of leaners. We strive for student achievement through providing the best possible student experience, professional staff and outstanding resources. Our success in this isn’t possible without the commitment, dedication and collaboration of every member of staff.
If you feel you can demonstrate the dedication, skills and passion required for this role, we look forward to receiving your application.
Main duties and responsibilities
Programme Delivery & QA
- Develop, lead and co-ordinate the delivery of Level 3 Business & Law programmes (including the annual curriculum review process, assessments and tutor recruitment/deployment) with an understanding of the college’s commercial targets, the maximising of student continuation to DMU courses and optimum student satisfaction levels.
- Contribute to accreditation by external bodies such as The Quality Assurance Agency.
- Contribute to internal reviews, validation and accreditation processes.
- Manage the annual curriculum review and the quality assurance for all Level 3 Business & Law modules & programmes, including the production of TMFs, MLF & Assessment Results Action Forms, MEPs, Curriculum Modification Form & PAEs.
- Contribute towards the college’s teaching and tutorials, providing role model behaviour in relation to the quality and standards of work.
- Encourage the development and use of the VLE and other learning technologies.
- Ensure all necessary academic texts, handbooks and teaching materials are produced, procured, updated, catalogued and securely maintained.
- Manage the development of new Level 3 Business & Law related academic programmes and modules in line with market needs.
- Provide Academic Services with delivery requirements and resources of all Business & Law modules/programmes in good time to plan for future academic terms
- Lead, inspire and motivate Business & Law tutors to deliver high quality performance in all areas.
- Line manage, support and develop Business & Law teaching staff as appropriate.
- Lead the recruitment, induction, and development and performance management of Level 3 Business & Law teaching staff, as appropriate.
- Provide Business & Law teaching staff with on-going support and guidance with regard to module/programme goals, curriculum, materials and methodology.
- Conduct class observation and provide feedback.
- Promote a collaborative working environment to maintain and enhance the quality of the student learning experience and the overall teaching-learning environment.
- Participate in the development and delivery of academic policy, priorities and objectives.
- Ensure that Level 3 Business & Law students are fully inducted onto the programmes which they are registered through meetings & production of handbooks.
- Be responsible for the student disciplinary procedures and their implementation.
- Help manage the formal interaction that students have with the BAL Link Tutor and wider Faculty, to support progression.
- Ensure appropriate guidance and support is given to students regarding their academic choices.
- Be responsible for the co-ordination of assessments, and reassessment, scheduling, invigilation, exam/test assessments and the production of all assessment paperwork for Level 3 Business & Law modules/programmes and ensure these are delivered in the most effective and efficient way to the required quality standards (in liaison with the Academic Services team).
- Manage the Bad Academic Practice procedures relating to Level 3 Business & Law students.
- Contribute to Assessment Boards as required.
- Contribute to the management the relationship and interaction with the college’s Business & Law External Examiner.
- Provide cover for the college Head of Business during their absence
- Use management information effectively to contribute to the continuous improvement of academic systems and processes.
- Assist the implementation of the college’s attendance policy.
- Maintain good relationships with DMU colleagues.
- Work across OIEG on academic issues and projects as appropriate.
- Liaise with all relevant stakeholders in relation to all academic issues.
This job description is provided as a guide to the role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive description of duties and responsibilities. It will be subject to periodic revision as the emphasis on, and ways of working within, the role changes.
Please see Attached Full Job Description
In the first instance please send a CV and covering letter by clicking apply below.
Closing date | 6 December 2018
Interview date | W/C 10 December 2018