Department of Life Sciences
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Silwood Park Campus
Salary Range: £37,904 - £45,547 p.a.
The Department of Life Sciences is seeking a Project Manager to take on responsibility for effective infrastructure and professional operational service in the support of research and education programmes at the Silwood Park campus, including Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) funded PhDs through the Quantitative and Modelling skills in Ecology and Evolution (QMEE) Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT).
The position will be based at the Silwood Park Campus which is home to approximately 25 Academic staff, 40 research and 10 support staff. As well as housing state-of-the-art facilities for laboratory and field research, the campus is a recognised centre for post-graduate training. There are currently approximately 130 Post graduate taught and 70 PhD students based at Silwood Park, spanning 5 Masters Courses in Ecology and Evolution.
This will involve managing project calls and advertisements, the student selection procedure, coordinating training activities, and acting as a central point for a cohort of over 36 PhD students. The project manager will liase with CDT partners to generate unique training activities, including non-project related secondment and internship opportunities. The role will also monitor and report on CDT progress, collating data and capturing success stories (papers, outreach activities etc), and monitoring budget and resource allocation. The role will help to coordinate future bids and partnerships for doctoral funding.
Working closely with Course Directors, the post holder will also help to support the design and delivery of a new Silwood Masters programme, and the coordination of activities aiming to optimise administrative efficiency, student experience and facilities on campus.
In research, the project manager will help to support academics in the Department to coordinate and develop large funding bids, including support for meeting organisation, coordinating with partner organisations, searching funding opportunities, and help with writing funding bids. Across all areas of activity, the project manager will help the Deputy Head of Department and Department Operations Manager and other academics to monitor and develop strategy.
- To be responsible for managing and ensuring the provision of an effective and professional operational infrastructure in the support of research and education at Silwood Park campus
- Develop the Centre for Doctoral Training’s training programme, liaising with partners and College academics to identify new areas and activities for the programme
- Support recruitment to all education programmes at Silwood Park
- Preparing relevant material for the promotion and delivery of the education programmes, including student handbooks, monitoring forms and annual reviews
- Supporting and coordinating Academics and other Professional Services staff in developing new funding bids in education and research
- Acting as a key point of contact for the management of the education and research programmes
- A good honours degree in a science or engineering discipline, or equivalent experience with an interest in climate change and the environment
You must be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of project management techniques and tools, and their application in a project management capacity
- Considerable administrative experience
- Experience of working with stakeholders in business, policy and academia to build networks and deliver collaborative outputs
- Strong financial and budgetary management experience, including planning, forecasting and monitoring
- Experience of providing a high-quality, responsive customer-focused service
- Experience of producing clear and concise written material
- Proven organisational skills and ability to plan, set priorities and manage workload in response to deadlines and under pressure
This is a full time, open ended position.
To apply, please visit: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/job-applicants/
For any informal queries about the post, please contact Pat Evans (Departmental Operations Manager) via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you have any queries about the application process please contact Peggy Baker by email at email@example.com and refer to the job reference number NAT00307.
For technical queries during the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 29 November 2018
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are also an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and are working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.