Trainee Multimedia Journalist
Media Wales are looking for a Trainee Multimedia Journalist to be based within our Swansea office. We are looking for someone who can write great stories and create quality content that drives outstanding digital engagement. You will help the editorial team and the whole business to continuously innovate and change at the pace we need to be a successful media business, and will play an integral part in growing our audiences online and in print.
Who are We?
Media Wales is the Cardiff based arm of UK-wide news and media company Reach PLC. The company runs the hugely successful WalesOnline news website. The Western Mail, Cardiff Echo, and Swansea Evening Post are just some of our newspaper publications. Our titles reach 1 in 3 of Wales' population every week.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Last year Reach publications sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
- Quality, accuracy, legal and IPSO compliance
- Deliver high quality, thoroughly researched, accurate and well-written multimedia content packages on a daily basis to agreed deadlines
- Write in a way which engages our readers and drives digital audience
- Understand the key ways our audiences engage with our content - social, search, mobile, apps, video
- Provide live coverage of news events for live blogs and breaking news as and when required
- Create a maintain a community and audience around your stories
- Shoot video, audio and pictures
- Source third party content, including blogs, video, audio and pictures, where appropriate to add value to content packages
- Take responsibility for themes of content, such as geographic areas, campaigns or other areas of interest, as directed by the content desk
- Build strong contacts for story-gathering within local communities
- Spend time in communities - both geographic and interest based - to promote brands
- Be active on social media, in line with Trinity Mirror policies, to build audiences and communities and ensure that content links are regularly shared on social platforms
- Ensure content is written with strong search engine optimisation in mind
- Ensure content carries the correct tags, in accordance with agreed conventions
- Ensure content is produced with the correct metadata at all times
The Ideal Candidate
- Reach plc or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing professionally
- Up-to-date legal knowledge
- Good understanding of how content is shared and promoted through social media
- Comfortable at getting out and about and making contacts
- Awareness and understanding of how people use the internet to find information
- Ability to shoot and edit video and audio
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.