7 days left
- Flexible Hours
Laurence, our wonderful Accountant has decided to retire at the end of December after 15 year’s loyal service. Could you be his replacement?
About Townswomen’s Guilds (TG)
TG is the second largest women’s organisation in the UK. It is a registered Charity and limited company, which acts as the umbrella organisation for more than 500 local Guilds. It was founded in 1929, after women achieved equal suffrage, directly from the women’s suffrage movement. We operate through autonomous local Guilds and local groupings of Guilds called Federations which look to the National Body for support as they need it, and shared activities. The autonomy means that we do not consolidate Guild and Federation results. Guilds and Federations are themselves charities, but many are below the registration threshold.
The National Body has a permanent staff of 8 (two of whom work mainly outside the office) including our Office Manager. The overall responsibility for the organisation rests with the Director/ Trustees who meet approximately monthly.
Nationally we produce a magazine (through a specialist publisher), organise campaigns and conferences, provide sport and leisure opportunities, and run member events including the AGM, an International Women’s Day event, and several carol services.
In recent years our membership has dropped, and recruitment forms the cornerstone of our strategy for survival.
You can find more about us on our website www.the-tg.com (our latest accounts and history appear under the about tab).
Our main source of income is affiliation fees. We have recently updated our database to OOMI, but the Accountant will not need to access this. The accounts and payroll are currently run on Sageline 50, but this will need to be migrated to the cloud by April 19 to ensure full compliance with online VAT rules.
The role encompasses the following:
- Preparation of the Annual accounts in accordance with SORP FRS102 (year end is 31st January)
- Presentation to, and liaison with, independent examiners/auditors as applicable.
- Liaison with the Investment House to manage a monthly movement schedule (Investments are managed on a discretionary basis)
- Preparation of monthly management accounts and presentation to the board (if possible) this will include completion of some ledger entries until the finance officer feels confident to handle them.
- Supervision of the finance officer and ensuring the adoption of automated accounting regimes as far as possible.
- Preparation of quarterly VAT returns including non-business adjustments, and the annual adjustment.
- Prepare and manage all payroll related matters, including pensions and expenses.
- Supervise cash flow, oversee or prepare bank reconciliations and manage direct payments.
- Act as a cheque signatory (alongside the Officers)
- Liaise with Companies House and the Charity Commission to meet statutory filing and information update requirements.
- Liaise with trustees to ensure that trustees sign the TG agreement and make all relevant disclosures.
- Act as impartial supervisor of elections of Trustees and Officers.
- Advise the Board and Members (if so requested) on matters of Charity law and accounting.
- Liaising with the National Treasurer and Office Manager.
We are seeking a qualified accountant, the DChA is a desirable addition but is not essential. You should also possess the following experience and abilities.
- Experience of Charity Accounting
- Up to date knowledge of VAT
- Good, up to date knowledge of charity and company law
- Recent experience of payroll and pensions
- Experience of Sage accounting software
- Ability to manage and support staff.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A high level of computer literacy
Although we are an organisation for women, run by women this position is open to everyone regardless of gender.
We anticipate that the role would need around 500 hours work per annum, with the level of input varying according to the time of year. We would appreciate one site visit in most weeks but are happy for much work to be undertaken remotely. We believe that the role is suitable for either an employee or someone who is self -employed.
To apply please email a copy of your CV, details of at least two potential referees and a covering letter to our National Treasurer, The closing date for applications is Wednesday 21st November. Any queries should also be sent to this address.
Apply for Financial Accountant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly