Economic Research Assistant GBP
An Economic Research Assistant is required by Devon County Council in Exeter. Working on the Economy Enterprise and Skills service, the role involves data analysis, reporting and designing, commissioning and managing research projects. This GBP is for 6 months and could lead to a permanent role.
The Economy Enterprise and Skills service within Devon County Council is looking for a research assistant to help with data analysis, reporting and designing, commissioning and managing research projects. This is a great opportunity for a graduate with an interest in economics to learn about how evidence is used to drive economic development. This role is offered on a 6-month trial basis with the opportunity to extend up to 23 months. We are keen to find someone who would like to learn about conducting economic research 'on the job' and there may be an opportunity to apply for a permanent position at the end of this period.
An Economic Research Assistant is required by Devon County Council (DCC), seconded from the University of Exeter. This is an exciting opportunity to get involved with providing the economic evidence base to support our economic strategy and the delivery of some of our major economic projects across the region. The post is initially offered for 6 months and could be extended up to 23 months with the opportunity to apply for a permanent position at the end of this period.
COMPANY INFORMATION: Devon County Council is an upper tier authority providing a wide range of services to residents and businesses in the county of Devon. The County Council has a broad remit and a range of duties and responsibilities. Briefly our service areas include: support for the economy & enterprise; waste and recycling; adult social care and health; young people; children and families; environment and planning; transport and roads.
PURPOSE OF ROLE: To provide support to the Economy, Enterprise and Skills service specifically for the economic evidence and research team.
OVERVIEW OF ACTIVITIES TO BE SUPPORTED BY THE POST-HOLDER:
Research, analysis and communications
- Responding to ad hoc enquiries for data and analysis within the council and beyond.
- Occasionally provide support to the wider economy and enterprise team particularly in relation to data analysis and economic research.
- To oversee the running of the Economic Research and Bid Support framework of suppliers that is used for buying research and bid support services. This will be by supporting the design, commissioning and management of economic research projects, including logging and monitoring budgets and working with external suppliers.
- To monitor economic data and update the service's economic dashboard, producing regular written briefings on the state of the local economy.
- To monitor major national economic events (such as the Budget and Queen's Speech) and provide summaries and briefings on the implications for Devon.
- To monitor and ensure the service area's website is kept up to date.
- To respond to consultation exercises and support lobbying campaigns with data and information.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the development of projects and effective working partnerships with public and private sector organisations to deliver key priorities outlined in the County Council's Strategic Plan, the Strategy for Growth and the externally funded programmes for which DCC is the accountable body.
- Support team members to work in partnership with colleagues and external agencies to access funding to support the implementation of economic development priorities.
- Collaborate with partners and other organisations to share and disseminate best practice, to aid project development and continuous improvement, including hosting networking events and presentations.
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of the Directorate's work and the contribution it makes to deliver the County Council's Strategic Plan, the Strategy for Growth and other implementation plans and programmes as applicable.
- To conform to, actively commit to and promote DCC Customer Service Standards, both with internal and external 'customers' when using any communication media including telephone, email, social media and face to face.
- Carry out any other duties and projects as required by the Line Manager, commensurate with the level of the post.
ESSENTIAL CANDIDATE CRITERIA:
- An Economics or Political Economy degree from a UK University in the last 3 years (or a degree with significant economics modules)
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Enthusiasm and interest in gaining an understanding of economic development activity
- Ability to analyse and interpret data (with support and training)
- Ability to demonstrate creative and innovative thinking and to successfully implement creative and innovative solutions
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise workloads, including resolving conflicting priorities
- Self-motivated, resourceful and pro-active
- Flexible, adaptable and good team work ethic
- Commitment and conformance to DCC Customer Service Standards
* Excellent and broad range of communication skills: ability to explain complex issues in a simple and concise manner
* Excellent writing skills, attention to detail and richness of vocabulary
* Excellent IT skills, in particular familiarity with Microsoft Office packages including experience of manipulating data
* Experience of using social media as a promotional and communications tool
* Good research and analytical skills
- Right to work in UK for the duration of the internship
DESIRABLE CANDIDATE CRITERIA:
- Experience of using website content management systems;
- Experience of geographical information systems and the management of spatial data
- Closing Date: 07/11/2018
- Interview Date: 14/11/2018
- Start Date: 26/11/2018
- End Date: Initially 6 months, with likely internship extension to 23 months, and opportunity to apply for a permanent position
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: Please send your completed form to is by clicking APPLY NOW