Senior What's On Writer
Senior What's On Writer - Gloucester
£competitve + company benefits
GloucestershireLive is seeking to recruit a What's On Writer who will be responsible for covering and building the audience around Gloucestershire's vibrant entertainment scene.
You will have a flare for writing and a nose for finding a good story. We are looking for someone who excels when it comes to digital, and has experience with video, live blogging and social media.
Reporting to the Head of Social Media and What's On, you will be responsible for creating and producing brilliant content focusing on the exciting things people can do in and around the county of Gloucestershire.
You will help achieve audience goals and boost our brands' social reach by making things that our audiences love to share.
The successful candidate will write content for GloucestershireLive, with their stories also going in the Gloucester Citizen and Gloucestershire Echo newspapers, covering Gloucester, Stroud, Cheltenham, Cotswolds and Forest of Dean.
Where you will be based
You will be working in our Gloucester office and remotely when required. GloucestershireLive is based in the heart of the historic Quays area of the county capital. Gloucestershire is one of the most visited counties in the UK for good reason, as it is home to international tourist hotspot the Cotswolds, brilliant festivals and arts events in Cheltenham and Stroud and Gloucester Cathedral, where the cloisters were featured in the Harry Potter films.
- Source, create and publish informative, accurate, original, shareable and engaging What's On content about: restaurants, bars, eating, drinking, days out, shopping, gigs, concerts, comedy, family fun and everything else
- Generate and publish SEO-focused content to drive search traffic
- Use search engine analytics to identify when to create content around specific keywords
- Identify, source and make What's On-related video content and still images for publication on web and social sites
- Build What's On community on social platforms
- Contribute to coverage of all aspects of What's On, delivering exclusive content and developing relationships with key figures
- Listen to and engage in online conversations with the audience on social and search and use topics to inform content creation decisions
- Be an absolute natural on social media, developing your personal brand to become a trusted expert and public face across external media
- Use analytics to inform What's On-themed content creation decisions
- Use digital storytelling tools including video, live blogs, social tools, data and anything else needed to tell your digital stories in the most engaging way possible
- Work flexible hours to cover significant events in evenings and at weekends, live blogging and creating Facebook Live videos.
The Ideal Candidate
- A journalist qualification or at least two years relevant experience - preferrably NCTJ accredited.
- Excellent writing skills and proven experience writing high-quality content in subject area
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Up-to-date legal knowledge and understanding of ISPO rules
- Demonstrable experience of delivering great ideas for content
- Good digital skills including experience using a web content management system and shooting/editing video
- Solid understanding of SEO, search, social, digital analytics and digital audience behaviour
- Solid understanding of social media platforms and comfortable using social publishing tools
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Self-motivated and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.