The Derby Telegraph is looking for an enthusiastic reporter brimming with ideas to join our busy newsroom. The Telegraph has a daily print edition and a rapidly growing digital platform in a terrific news patch.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the future of our digital operation while supporting our print platform and be tasked with providing our audience with interesting content presented through a combination of writing, pictures, video and interactive elements.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
- Sourcing original content, stories and features for digital and print
- Writing directly to the web as required to a high standard taking a 'right first-time' approach to all content and having a pedantic attitude to accuracy.
- Identifying breaking news by the correct use of social media as well as contacts, to know how to quickly establish further factual information, pictures, and video to enhance coverage.
- Submitting daily ideas to the Content Desk for stories that will engage our audience and stimulate debate and interaction.
- Assisting in building communities and brand visibility.
- Generating and publishing SEO-focused content to drive search traffic.
- Sourcing or shooting relevant video content and still images for publication on the web and social sites.
- Taking a leading role in creating exclusive content and developing relationships with key figures.
- Using digital storytelling tools including live blogs, interactive features, galleries and videos to create the richest possible online experience for readers.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for an interview, candidates must demonstrate energy, drive and a passion for journalism which are essential for the role. The successful candidate may have a journalism qualification, ideally to NCTJ standard, in addition to recognised training in media law. Candidates with shorthand will be at an advantage in order to be successful in this role. A full driving licence is preferred.
In addition to competitive salaries and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.