6 days left
- Full Time
UKRI – NERC – BGS
£24,435 to £26,560 per annum (depending on qualifications and experience)
The British Geological Survey (BGS) is an applied geoscience research centre that is housed in UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and affiliated to the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). It is a world leading geological survey that provides a core science mission to inform government of science related to the subsurface and its interfaces and also undertakes applied research for solutions to earth and environmental processes, both in the UK and globally. It is funded directly by UKRI as well as through research grants and via private sector contracts.
BGS has an annual budget of approximately £60 million and employs 650 people. It has two main sites, a head office in Keyworth near Nottingham and the Lyell Centre, which is a joint collaboration with Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh. BGS works with more than 150 private sector organisations as well as having close links with 40 universities and sponsors approximately 100 PhD students each year.
About the role
You will be responsible for:
- working as part of the Finance team engage with various financial procedures
- liaise with the accounts teams within our outsourced Shared Service Centre (UK SBS)
- working on Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable tasks to improve the accuracy and relevance of BGS data by liaising with BGS, UK SBS and external sources to address and resolve queries
- undertaking housekeeping exercises in relation to Purchase Orders
- preparing schedules for the processing of non-Purchase Order invoices
- liaising with relevant stakeholders and ensuring accurate coding of expenditure
- provide support for the financial elements of the corporate travel booking system
- undertaking credit control and chasing outstanding debtors
- liaising with external stakeholder to resolve related issues and internal colleagues in relation to write-offs
- acting as a point of contact to the Shared Service Centre account managers
- resolving ad hoc queries and providing cover for colleagues as required
- monitoring and distributing communications received by the finance group email address
- handling and checking cash for onsite sales.
You will have experience of working within a complex financial environment and evidence of working with a computerised finance system, with relevant experience in a similar role.
Experience of using Microsoft Excel is also required.
Working flexibly within a small team, you must be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills as part of the role will require you to be able to liaise with both finance and non-finance professionals.
Experience of using Oracle E-Business suites would be highly desirable.
What we offer
A generous benefits package is also offered, including a very competitive pension scheme, free on-site parking, 30 days annual leave plus bank holidays and access to flexitime.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. We would stress the importance of this paperwork in our selection process. A well thought through application addressing the advertised essential and desirable criteria for the post will be considered far more favourably than a generic covering letter and CV.
Applications are being handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please click the apply button.
Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday 28th October 2018.
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 13th November 2018.
BGS provides a range of flexible working options including flexible working patterns, compressed hours and home working so if you have a need for flexibility, please raise this in the recruitment process when your needs, balanced with the requirements of the role, will be fully considered.
UKRI values diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. People with disabilities and those from ethnic minorities are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. There is a guaranteed Interview scheme for suitable candidates with disabilities.
The British Geological Survey is an Investors in People organisation and has achieved Bronze status for Athena SWAN – a scheme that recognises an organisation’s commitment and progress in developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.