STC Expeditions - Job description
The position: Operations Assistant
Usual Working Hours: Monday to Friday 0900 – 1730 (includes 1hour lunch). Exact hours of work could be flexible for the right candidate.
Contract: Permanent – Full Time
Salary: £18,000 per annum
Pension: We contribute to staff pensions in line with our obligations under the workplace pension scheme.
Holidays: 5 Weeks (25 working days) plus Bank Holidays.
Reporting to: Operations Manger
Location: Central Exeter
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small but growing, dynamic, ethical and highly specialist adventure travel company based in Exeter. We are looking for an Operations Assistant to provide administrative support to the operations and sales departments.
Working closely with the Operations Manager, the chosen candidate will be responsible for preparing and producing detailed documentation relating to our trips, ensuring the company and our clients have the correct information and that all pre-travel checks have been completed in a timely manner.
This is very much an administrative role and the successful candidate will need excellent organisational skills, an ability to work methodically on operational critical data and to have a hawk-like eye for spotting errors. An ability to work accurately under pressure is paramount. So too is an empathetic and tactful telephone manner as the role involves talking to teachers, school senior management, parents and occasionally young people.
An interest and passion for travel and adventure is essential. Some of our trips take two years to plan, so the role will particularly appeal to those who enjoy working on long term projects. We are a small team, but work in a lively, open plan office.
In addition to your main role, and for the right candidate, there will be additional opportunities to get involved in other aspects of the business, including:
- Health & Safety, risk assessments and crisis management
- Marketing, blog writing and website management
- Biscuit/cake demolition (tea/coffee optional)
Ideal Skills Set:
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (primarily Word, Excel and Outlook and to a lesser degree, PowerPoint and Publisher)
- A high degree of accuracy & attention to detail
- Confident and friendly telephone manner
- High level of tact and discretion
- Above all, a ‘can do’ attitude, high standards and the desire to go the extra mile for our clients is everything.
Training on in-house procedures, systems, software packages, and job specific tasks will be given. Occasional external training courses may also be required, for which the company would pay.
The job will involve telephone and email contact with:
Schools, Teachers, Parents, Students, our independent Medical Advisor and overseas tour operators.
Main Tasks and skill requirements
- Produce correspondence, emails, letters, reports and presentations to a high standard of accuracy and speed.
- Proof reading of itineraries and other documents.
- Liaise with medical consultant, schools and parents with regard to confidential medical conditions and individual management plans
- Support Operations Manager in planning for specific medical conditions
- Checking of passport details and other personal information.
- Preparing final travel packs
- Preparing and sending contracts and contract letters
- Create tailored trip documentation from existing templates
- Create and design trip posters and letters from existing templates
- To act as brand ambassador for STC Expeditions, positively promoting our core USPs and company ethos.
- To provide on-going support and assistance to clients throughout the lead up to their trip. This involves providing high levels of customer service and the ability to manage complex projects.
- To follow up on returning clients, seeking feedback and ways to improve our service.
- Undertake all other tasks as may reasonably be required in order to meet the varying demands of the Company.
- Professionalism and desire to do a good job.
- Persistence and drive to reach objectives, as well as resilience and the ability to work autonomously are key skills for this job.
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential.
- Effective time management and ability to work accurately under pressure.
- A patient and empathetic attitude, with the ability to build long term relationships with clients and external organisations.
- Comfortable in dealing with people at all levels.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to think ‘out of the box’.
- The confidence to question, consistently look for ways to improve systems and products and to make the most of opportunities.
- Commitment to the job and to the ethos and goals of the company.
The Specialist Travel Consultancy Ltd (trading as STC Expeditions, STC Educational and The School Travel Consultancy) is committed to equal opportunities for all employees, job applicants, customers and suppliers, irrespective of age, disability, ethnic or national origin, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation.
Please send CV’s and use the reference OPSADMIN in the email subject.