West Lavant, Chichester
Lavant House is set within the South Downs National Park, a stone's throw from the Goodwood Estate and on the doorstep of Chichester. Built in the early 1700’s, and later owned by the 3rd Duke of Richmond, Lavant House is a period blend of Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian architecture and until recently, operated as a girl’s boarding school. It is now being operated by a new charity and helping young people (18+) prepare for successful careers in the 21st century.
Our client is a youth-friendly enterprise, committed to developing and training young people as they transition into adulthood and meaningful employment. They will do this by providing an innovative and integrated program based around their needs for:
- Affordable accommodation
- Education and mentoring where needed in areas such as Maths, English and other scientific/engineering subject areas.
- Skills for life courses such as Food Hygiene, Budgeting and first aid.
- Rural skills: animal husbandry, grounds works, gardening
- Healthy and enjoyable sports opportunities: Tennis, Football, Cricket, Swimming, Sailing etc
- Realistic and integrated work experience and apprenticeships
They will also offer more specific training in areas of crafts, craftsmanship and scientific research according to needs over time. They also provide ‘incubator space’ for high-tech start-ups and other businesses who are willing to provide work experience and opportunities for their young people onsite. Their objective is that each young person leaves (after two years living/studying/working with them) confident, experienced and well prepared for the challenges of a happy and successful career in a field of their choosing.
One of the first set of opportunities for the young people, is to work with them on the refurbishment and building works at Lavant House - for which they are naturally paid, but require on the job support, training and supervision. There is a minimum of five years of work ahead for our client, and they welcome this - the work provides excellent ‘hands on’ opportunities for those young people interested in a career in business and construction-based skills and qualifications where desired.
For an exceptional candidate (who is interested in the mentoring and pastoral care of the young people out of working hours), there may also be a possibility of onsite accommodation if desired.
What you’ll be doing…
- Working on a 14-acre country estate with 44,000 square feet of building, including a Grade II listed building.
- Being the primary person to deliver all aspects of the trade to complete allocated tasks and to support the planning and preparations for such works.
- In charge of installation and maintenance, repairs and the removal of existing electrical components and systems
- Reading technical diagrams and following building regulations based on approved codes of practise.
- Inspecting electrical components, such as transformers and circuit breakers and identifying electrical problems with a variety of testing devices.
- Leading and training colleagues/apprentices in the installation, maintenance, or repair of electrical wiring or equipment.
You should apply if you…
- Hold a current ECS card
- Have at least two years’ experience installing/maintaining electrical systems to all appropriate UK regulations
- Enjoy your trade, and wish to pass that enthusiasm on to colleagues and apprentices
- Be confident and organised overseeing a multitude of electrical tasks for the site (they have excellent relationships with other electricians who can join them on a ‘per job’ basis as required)
- Are able to manage time well and prioritise tasks
It’s a bonus if you have experience…
- working with listed buildings, the process and appropriate maintenance of listed buildings
- training and assisting apprentices
- In other trades (eg basic plumbing, carpentry or general building)
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please apply ASAP.
Apply for Electrician
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly