Technical Support Engineer / 1st - 2nd Line Support Technician
Job Title: Technical Support Engineer
Location: Home based with occasional paid travel
Salary: £18,000 to £20,000
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The Company provides systems to schools, colleges and multi-academy trusts to help keep children safe - the work they do really makes a difference.
They're a remote UK-based team, currently comprised of engineering and customer service departments, and are looking for a technical support engineer to work alongside both.
For this role, the Company is looking for superb communication skills, as well as some technical know-how. You'll need to be able to communicate well via email, live chat, phone and face-to-face - a large part of your role will be talking directly to customers, explaining technical concepts for the right audience. You'll also need to be able to dig into the occasional command line tool or database, tweak a value here and there, and explain what you've done to the rest of the team.
This is the ideal role if you really enjoy explaining how things work, or if you're dreaming of a career in tech but aren't sure what role suits you. Although they're a remote team, they speak every day, and arrange regular meetings both by department and as a company.
- Some experience or education, whether formal or self-taught, in a programming language such as Ruby, PHP or similar
- Some experience working with databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL or Oracle
- Enthusiasm for understanding technical ideas and explaining them clearly to users, either on the phone, in an email or in a written knowledge base article
- A strong standard of spoken and written English
- Attention to detail; you believe a job worth doing is worth doing right
- Confidence learning new software, with self-led learning where appropriate
- Proficiency with word processing software, digital calendars and email systems
- Work remotely, with travel covered for training days and team building
- Essential hardware provided, including a laptop and VOIP phone
- Full training, including safeguarding, health and safety and information security
- Staff Employee Assistance Program
- (Negotiable) reduced hours outside term time
- 28 days' holiday pro-rata, including bank holidays
- Regular wage and benefits reviews
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Please, no recruiters or firms offering subcontracting.
Candidates with experience of: Support Engineer, Support Technician, Desk Support, IT Technician, IT Service Desk Technician, Support Technician, Software Engineer, Technical Support, Helpdesk Support Technician, Ruby, PHP, SQL, Oracle, Helpdesk Support and Fault Desk may also be considered for this role.